West Coast Storms

News, weather & sports

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: West Coast Storms

Post by kiramdear »

Another bruiser this morning in Marin, with a lot of people without power for a while. I kind of slept through it.

The good news is they're saying the worst is over, for now. :)
All I wanna do is rock!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Kira, do you have the ability to run on your own power, or do you have to rely on shore power?
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

cjj wrote:Kira, do you have the ability to run on your own power, or do you have to rely on shore power?
I use a combination of the two - Cabin lights and pumps are on battery power and the frills run on shore power. House lights always work, and also I have battery backup on the computers so no rude surprises there when power fails.
All I wanna do is rock!
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

That's alot of water around the factory Monday night!!
I was lucky that when I drove by there on the way to meet the gang at the Claim Jumper that most of that water was gone.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Noon. Sun shining now over SF.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

it has been a rather nasty couple of days up here in brookings,too! my first west coast storm experience,relentless rain,and ridiculous winds,but on a positive note,none of the ginormous electrical discharges we typically get with storms in memphis....the electrical power and cell phone service was out for about 8 hours sunday,allegedly all the way from gold beach,or. to down past eureka,ca. (about 150 miles) .
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Unbelievable! The idea of thunder in San Francisco just amazes me. It never came close to that sort of weather in the two years I lived there. My wife and I would reminisce about how we used to watch thunderstorms from our porch in Minneapolis.

I've seen plenty of horrendous weather in the different places I've lived, but San Francisco...say it isn't so! SF is supposed to be an oasis from all that noise. Sorry to hear you're getting rocked.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

notviceversa wrote:The water stayed outside of the factory. If the water rose about another foot there might have been some water on the factory floor.
Richard, when did the factory put in a swimming pool? Oh, wait, that's the loading dock! :shock: :lol:
longboard_ric
Intermediate Member

Post by longboard_ric »

That is an unbelievable amount of rain you guys have had there.

Does anyone know how much has fallen???

Tony, looks like you've got that waterfront property you always wanted. It didn't get any higher did it ????

I hope there have been no mudslides and the like.

I understand there is a high surf warning for the California coast. Has anyone been down to Mavericks at half Moon Bay to have a look????

We recently had a mini tornado in northern Victoria that did a little damage.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... 791233.htm
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

This is a co-worker's car, yesterday outside his home in Long Beach, CA.
001.JPG
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Uh, that's gonna be a tad damp inside... How's his house???
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

cjj wrote:Uh, that's gonna be a tad damp inside... How's his house???
The water just barely got into his house, but his garage was flooded.
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

longboard_ric wrote:
Tony, looks like you've got that waterfront property you always wanted. It didn't get any higher did it ????
Not that time Shane, but in 2004, we had 4 hurricanes hit us in 4 weeks, 53" of rain fell in 3 weeks....and the water DID come in then. Not too bad, but enough to require new wood floors & carpets. It COULD have been a LOT worse. BOY, did it SMELL!

Hopefully, you guys out in CA have sunny days on the horizon. HOPEFULLY, no mudslides!
collin

Post by collin »

longboard_ric wrote: I understand there is a high surf warning for the California coast. Has anyone been down to Mavericks at half Moon Bay to have a look????
Mavericks is a long ways from me.....but I did go by Seal Beach/Bolsa Chica (just north of Huntington)......insane for these south-facing beaches....something like 16' swells.

Biggest bummer was that it's not only dangerous to go out and take advantage of the big waves, but with all the fresh water (and storm drains emptying out at Seal Beach, my local spot), the water is filthy enough to make ya sick! :cry:
s4001

Post by s4001 »

rickenbrother wrote:This is a co-worker's car, yesterday outside his home in Long Beach, CA.
001.JPG
Oooh boy...

Return to “News At 11”