Non Ric acoustics

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Re: Non Ric acoustics

Post by Ivan3000 »

collin wrote:I actually like Taylors..

To me, they are far more playable off-the-rack than most other guitars at your average Guitar Center, and not just the high-end models either.

They tend to have more treble and lack bass, but I typically prefer them for general playing than most others, though I wouldn't record with one.

Th generally lack feel and soul ...but so do most new guitars. That's what vintage is for. :P
Taylors are perfect for modern pop, very bright, in my opinion they aren't great for much else.
For me (I know it sounds stupid) on acoustics the strings really matter, they will either dig into your fingers, or they can be really nice. I like a nice light gauge. Even though I play bass, acoustic strings just kill my fingers.
Has there ever been success with electric strings on an acoustic? Like maybe some super slinkies?
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

I did that on my Epi,and it was easier to play.I installed a used set from my Tele DeLuxe,and kept them on a few years.
The sound was only so-so.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

IvanMunoz wrote:Has there ever been success with electric strings on an acoustic? Like maybe some super slinkies?
Why bother? :roll: There are lots of great strings sets made for acoustic guitars, so why use strings made for an electric guitar on one?
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

jps wrote:Currently, a Larrivée LV-19 Special Vine Edition (very few made in 2002, only) but I am on the prowl for a replacement as this is too nice a presentation instrument to be banging on! It is promised to a friend of mine. at the moment.
Larrivee_800_4303.jpg
Larrivee_800_4316.jpg
Larrivee_800_4314.jpg
Those are fabulous guitars. A buddy has one and every time I go over its the first thing I grab.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

jps wrote:
IvanMunoz wrote:Has there ever been success with electric strings on an acoustic? Like maybe some super slinkies?
Why bother? :roll: There are lots of great strings sets made for acoustic guitars, so why use strings made for an electric guitar on one?
So they don't destroy my fingers, and put dents in them.
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

Almost Forgot.. a Takamine...I dont know the model... its not a Bass... so really... what does it matter?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

IvanMunoz wrote:
jps wrote:
So they don't destroy my fingers, and put dents in them.
Try light gauge acoustic strings; if that doesn't help, smash it and stick to bass.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

I think I'm going to try to find elixer nanoweb superlights. Or something like that.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Elixers are great strings - I think you'll like them!

I don't like them for anything but acoustics though.
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

3 Acoustics at the moment.......
acoustics 1.jpg
Takamine EF340SBG with rare vintage burst finish and cool tube pre amp.
Ric 700/12 Shasta
Gibson SJ200 Custom. Limited edition with Ebony fret board and bridge, Abalone inlays and rosette etc.
acoustics 2.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Very nice trio of guitars there, Rob! 8) You certainly like your guitars on the jumbo side of things.
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

jps wrote:Very nice trio of guitars there, Rob! 8) You certainly like your guitars on the jumbo side of things.
Thanks.

I just love 'big' sounding guitars. :)
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

That J200 is just unreal. :shock:
fireglo67

Post by fireglo67 »

sloop_john_b wrote:That J200 is just unreal. :shock:
The colour didn't really come out in that picture. Here it is in glorious daylight.
Attachments
SJ200.jpg
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Wow! More of a brown/honey color then a black sunburst. Looks just like my old '69 Southern Jumbo.

Dream guitar material right there. The "whispering giant".

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”