So Where Are You From?

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

ricnbacker
Veteran RRF member

Post by ricnbacker »

John,

roxy! oh the memories. i am afraid of what i dont remember...lol

the members of some of those bands were.

billy armstrong. the man whos 77 ric made me want one. he still has it by the way but he isnt playing it right now.

bobby hennessy. fender J bass, owner took me to get my first bass( 68 P)

John Mc Graw. looked just like John Lennon and played a 360 if i am not mistaken

Frank paola. bass player who taught me how to play
nick name wazzo.

Amato Del veccio. keyboardist extrodinaire....

amato had a place on hoyt and 28th street called the"W" club. i learned a lot about pink floyd there. the bass players name was Sal. i know he was almost deaf and or burnt but could play like a mofo

any of those guys ring a bell?

do you remember fields?
how about Jimmy burns
pub 74...

classic rock huh, thats what i play...you have no idea how hard it is to find guitarists up here to play that.
i have been doing sort metal stuff to get by.then theres my brother in law who likes the slow stuff, eagles cream and blues.

which clubs you playing at?
ric480
Veteran RRF member

Post by ric480 »

Chris: nobody I know. All of my friends/family were in Manhattan. I worked on Steinway above Theos&Theos for 5 years, would go to Winnie The Pooh's from time to time but no music scene there.

We've been playing once a month at O'Flanagan's on 1st Av bet. 65-66th (next is 3/10, usually 2nd Wed each month). Less frequently at Hogs&Heifers on 1st Av bet. 95-96th (next is 6/25).

Keep on picking.
ricnbacker
Veteran RRF member

Post by ricnbacker »

theo and theos was right around the corner from my last residence in astoria. didnt theo and theos downsize and become just theo? lol

everything has changed since i left, the steinway coffe shop closed down. (best souvlaki platters in NY)

i remember winnies......did you know"big dee"..lol

next time i come down i`ll let you know...you got a place to play?
höfner

Post by höfner »

Let me introduce myself.
I was born in Tampere, Finland 1961 on some dark and stormy night late summer.

I grow up with my older brother beatles-record collection.
My first experience and member of beatles has to be 1966 or 67, was "Long Tall Sally" and "I Call Your Name" -single! (released 1964 in finland, still have it).
I listened it mouth open. That time friends of my brother listened only some shadows-things.

Then my 1th grade teacher kicked me to boy-choir so I sang near 12 yrs on choir. (Bach-Schubert-whatever german/british style boychoirmusic...)

When I was some about 10 I went to music-school to learn playing double-bass. (´cause McCartney played bass, of course)
In that time I crushed finally to beatles-stuff. I learned to listen bass-lines and I tried to played them by listen records. =D
Somewhere age 14-15 came John Mayall & Bluesbreakers, specially with E.C. record. and all blues and roots-stuff. Leadbelly, Albert King, Woody Guthrie, Dylan...

I bought my first el.bass (4001) on 1976. (Still have that poster-brochure).
I worked after school on tiny shop and got money myself. Very soon I found -60 mod. Höfner 500/1. It wasn´t in very good condition, but hey, it was reeaall thing! I remember the price, in $:s it was some 100 $ ~.

Then jazz. Parker, Gillespie, Davis and so... and progressive pop/rock Pink Floyd, Genesis etc etc.

I started to play on with different bands, whoever needed freelance bassist and toleranted young unexperienced guy. (and cheap, I guess ;) )

Same time in music scool I tried to motivate to playing classic. I skip that and choir, when I had to go to Army.

After armytime. I had a luck to go to try studiosessions.
Hard work. But usually fun and nice.

So, finally I sold my 4001 at -88 (E1 8390) and I ordered a new 4003FL. It´s nice bass, actually I ´like it very much. (Still want a new 4005!!)
1991 I ordered a new 4001V63 (C4 8716). Great tool!

I have released 4 of my own records. between -89 to -04. There´s lot of hofner and ric-sounds. Image
Language of singing is finnish, so markets are very very limited and locals.

Tiny story of my höfner´s you can find on topics "Others" -> "Hofner violin bass".

I´d visit in anonymously many years here on forum, and decided register myself at last. And still after these over 25 years of playing and listening whatever music; best song in the world is "Strawberry Fields Foverer" in my opinion. =D

So, Hi everyone!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome Mika and thanks for the nice story. Are there many Rickenbackers in Finland?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
höfner

Post by höfner »

Well, Peter.
In a first, let me say, that your sites and this forum is something excellent! You´ve done unbelieveble job!

I don´t know excactly, how many, but in my experience just couple of 100´s I suppose?

Most favorite model is deffenently 4001/3 what I´ve seen.
Problem has been dealers. There´s been a long time, when we hadn´t own dealer at all. Nearest was on Stockholm-Sweden. And local dealers here have changed so many times. I don´t even mention level of service... Image sometimes.

Now a days we have a new very respectful re-seller here. "Kitarapaja" in Helsinki. The guys of that store are like "McGyver´s" to do anything, what you need. So I´m looking forward to see many of more Ric´s in here.
We have to remember that population of Finland is little more 5 000 000 ! Markets are very very limited.

Oh.. by the way if anyone is interest to look my newest album, it´s should to find from here;

http://www.edel.fi/album/albumShow.aspx ... 104bb25b2a
rictified

Post by rictified »

I have been trying to help a bassplayer from Finland find a good 70's SVT head for a while now and he plays Rics.
höfner

Post by höfner »

Bob, you´re good man! =D

Your case is very good example for global goodwill and intelligent bassplayers of Finland too.
dylumph

Post by dylumph »

Hi,I'm from Mint Hill,NC. I've been fighting a 370-12 for about 5 years. It sounds sooo good but is a bear to play. I usally play LPs,335s,SGs strats,and teles for 6 stringers but that 370 sound is worth the battle!
DYLUMPH
spencer

Post by spencer »

Tampa, Florida

That's the west coast of the east coast.
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

I,m a little to the west of Spencer on the gulf of Mexico, in Pass-a-Grille, originally from Kent in the U.K....How did I end up here...

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”