New YES Album.."Fly From Here"

The genius of Chris Squire
woodyng

Re: New YES Album.."Fly From Here"

Post by woodyng »

well,thanks to another posting here linking to a free week-long previewing of the album,i just listened to the new album in its entirety,and, really enjoyed it for the most part. on almost every Yes album,i usually like something about every song,but there is usually hopefully at least one song per album that defines what i LOVE about Yes . (for instance,"i'm running" from BG,or "dreamtime" from magnification)
on this new album,that track is fittingly the last one,"into the storm". it has the positive and uplifting Yes feel that i've loved since i first heard "every little thing",it is YES perfection,and i really hope they will perform that one live. WOW-great way to close a really good album,guys!
ok just so i don't come off as a drooling fawning fanboy,i will say that the instrumental track "bumpy ride" sounds a bit ...cartoonish.
:mrgreen:
Last edited by woodyng on Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
08 Ric 4003

Post by 08 Ric 4003 »

Yeah, the version I have the song is only 3 min 8 secs. This on is almost 7 mins. Sneaky Japanese import and sneaky Yes.
miguelbass

Post by miguelbass »

08 Ric 4003 wrote:Yeah, the version I have the song is only 3 min 8 secs. This on is almost 7 mins. Sneaky Japanese import and sneaky Yes.
the two added parts (intro and outro) are also very Steve Howe to me. Bass pedals included. Reminded me of the ending section of Novalis, one of my favourite tracks from Turbulence.

Miguel
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Okay, late to the game here. I was holding out for getting the enhanced CD package but I won't be able to get it here soon, so I just downloaded it from iTunes. Listening to the Overture now. Impressions later. I already know I like Into The Storm a lot.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

First full but quick listen-through. The boys have been busy. Great vocals, so tight harmonies. Dare I say the best harmonies of any Yes album? My favorite is still Into The Storm. A real rocker bur only as Yes could create it. I also believe at this time I like the new songs better than the suite.

Gotta get to bed.......
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Track 3 of the Suite is still my favorite, tied with Into The Storm and Hour of need. This music is subtle but seems to have a great, deep power behind it that may translate well in live performances - Come on, September!

Have a great vacation. John!
08 Ric 4003

Post by 08 Ric 4003 »

They are not coming close to me. I saw Yes a few times on the 90125 tour, once on the Big Generator Tour and once on the Talk Tour. I saw Asia twice, once on the original tour and once on the XXV Tour and GTR once. Seeing Steve Howe play the Clap and Mood For A Day live was worth the price of admission.
turlu
Veteran RRF member

Post by turlu »

Love the new album !!! This is truly a piece of art and like YES can render it !!! Chris Squire is bigger than God !!! The vocals on the album are excellent too ! Great work guys !
bassically good girl

Post by bassically good girl »

Being an 80's girl (please don't hold that against me) I was not always a big Yes fan. I have grown to like them more over the past few years thanks to my husband and a few close "friends" :wink: . I have to say that I really love the new album and have found myself listening to it constantly. Wish they were headed our way for the tour.....
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Can't believe no one called me on the "fanboy" comment! (but ya are,Blanche,ya are a fanboy!) :lol:
I'm trying to convince my bandmates to tackle "hour of need".....
08 Ric 4003

Post by 08 Ric 4003 »

Most people posting to this thread are fans, think it goes without saying. My favorite track is the last one. Steve lets loose with some nice guitar work. I just broke out Close The Edge and Relayer for the first time in about a half a year. Those are probably my two favorites. Cha Cha Cha Cha Cha. Sometimes I don't know what Jon is singing or singing about. Relayer is my favorite Yes/Roger Dean album cover. The one he did for Greenslade the with guy with a bunch of arms and a cat jumping is really cool too. The inside of Close To The Edge is great to with the Green Dear. The outside of Close To The Edge is nothing special with the exception other than that is when the classic Yes loge first came about.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

08 Ric 4003 wrote:... Sometimes I don't know what Jon is singing or singing about.....
I'm not sure Jon knew either. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry guys..... KIDDING!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Listening as I browse. I can hear they are playing slower than they did 35+ years ago. :lol:
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Don't we all? :mrgreen:
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

That issue of tempo choices is continually a big argument over at the Yes forum. (Of course, that place is nothing but nasty back and forth comments anyway!)

I find that so many bands play their pieces much too fast at their live shows. The choice of a tempo is very important. Whether classical music or pop/rock, the "right" choice can make a huge difference. Of course, many of us have different ideas of what is best for any given song. I tend to prefer the tempo from the original recording. (Studies show that average people have an excellent ability to remember the original tempo of a pop song.) With classical music, I often prefer a slightly slower tempo because it seems to allow more opportunity for expressivity. Fast tempi sound...rushed. Why rush?

When I saw Yes two years ago I felt the tempi were just right...some songs were a bit slower and I appreciated the new subtle things that were only then apparent. Some pieces were faster than the originals but still felt "right."
And again, these guys ARE older...older people might have less "top end" but generally have better stamina. We also know what works, n'cest pa?

Your mileage may vary.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”