12 string - high G breaking

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

fil

12 string - high G breaking

Post by fil »

About 9 months ago I got a 620/12, and its a fabulous guitar. The problem is that I regularly break the high octave G string, always at the bridge. I don't break strings very often on my six string guitars, I've had my 330 for 6 years and maybe break a string once or twice a year.
So, I took a look at the bridge (a 6 saddle) and it doesn't look like there are any burrs on it.
Any ideas on why this is happening would be appreciated.
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

I will assume that there is a sharp edge on the saddle.

this string is prone to breakage but not constantly.

I have three 12 strings and I buy Ernie ball .009 strings in six pack all the time.

If you were in my shop i'd do this;
first i would make sure that the TOPS of the strings (at the bridge ) follow the curve/arch of the fretboard -also known as the radius.
Then I would check the bridge location .
Next I would move it if this needed to be done .
I move them away from the neck more often than not so that the saddles lie in the center of the chassis and the low E string saddle is not jammed all the way back ,like roger McGuinn's.
this way you can change string gauges and not resort to removing the spring or clipping it to get the saddle to move where it should be .

Next I would use a set of Round Edged Joint Files to clean up the notches of each saddle.
Then I would remove the bridge and take it to my buffer and hit the top of the saddles to remove the last of any sharp edges.
Clean up the compound and reinstall it on the guitar.Tune ,check the truss rods,nut slot depth and re intonate.

Now here is something that you can try.
Get a piece of fine sand paper...400 to 800 grit and place a section of it under the string.
Now loosen the string and wrap the paper (fold it around the string) and slide it back and forth thru the saddle slot.
The string must have some tension on it ,just not up to pitch.
This should remove the burrs.

If after you do this ,you are still having this problem ....print out my method and take that and guitar to a repairman who has a great reputation.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

The 'G' octave is the smallest string and has the most tension on it (of all the strings on a 12 string guitar)

Many players tune down to E flat to make it easier on their voices and to get around this.

I'm still at standard pitch at 46 years old ,but may lower it at some point.
fil

Post by fil »

Thanks Mark!
I'll try to do a little sanding and pick myself up a six pack of .009" strings.
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

My 2 cents worth; take McGuinns advice[and mine; don't use Anything but .010s for the Hi G .
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

I use both ,depends on how often i break them and what i string them with .

Also what guitar.

If I tune down then yes ,I always use a .010
marty

Post by marty »

Hi fil!I leave alot of wind on the tuning peg,then
I can get the ball out of the R tailpiece, wrap the string around around it and use it twice or
three times with a steel guitar string.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”