Nitrocellulose used?

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

mark

Nitrocellulose used?

Post by mark »

I'm aware that my 360/12v64, 360/12 and 330 (all made in the last few years) have a Polyurethane finish. Just curious, did Rickenbacker use Nitrocellulose lacquer at any time for the 300 series guitars (or any for that matter)?
sir_andrew_of_left_coast
Veteran RRF member

Post by sir_andrew_of_left_coast »

Polyurethane?
Member #03
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

It is my understanding that the composition of the finish changed in the early to mid 1970's--what it consists of I do not know exactly---I believe that it is polyester. The finishes on the 60's guitars is much thinner and could be nitro-cellulose...The clear-coat on the 370/12RM is quite thick compared to the 60's formula. My 1972 4001 has a different finish than my 1979 4001..Over time it seems as though the finish on my '79 (jetglo) has 'shrank'...s'pose it's normal, or I've just hallucinated (again).....

My 360/12CW has a finish that is closer to what was done back the 60's, but probably is not nitro- cellulose..Mark the MD is one to answer this question, or John Hall...I know there are EPA regulations now that restrict the usage of the 'old ways'.....
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

I'm sure JH will chime in at some point as he has the files on what it was .

At some point lllllloooooonnngggggg ago,just after the middle ages ,Nitro Cell.lacquer was used .But that was changed to Fuller/O'Brien "fullerplast" at some point .I would guess that this was in the 1960's .Most likely 1963 or so maybe earlier .
I have heard unsubstandiated rumors for years that this product was developed FOR Fender (I doubt it ,Leo did not have that kind of clout in the 1950's sorry!)
Thiis type of paint was designed for bartops and cabinets .It is really tough .Builds easily /fast and is rock hard .
It is a major pain to fix ,down the road however .
ALL conversion varnish is this way.

To this day ...Rick uses a type of conversion varnish .

THis product has NOTHING to do with varnish that you buy at the hardware store .It is a totally different kind of product .

EPA regulations ......absolutely !!!

The clears that are being used today are NOT the same as when I worked at Rick .Laws have changed that and monitoring the level of VOC and HAP has changed that for the better (perhaps) .

The REAL cuprit of this is of course Detroit and it's guzzling of gasoline ....unfortunately ,they have a bigger lobby in congress than the guitar industry .Plus guitars and furniture spraying is an easy target to get to comply with regulations .
Auto paint has had to change as well .

Look at the gloss of any car made today compared to the 1970's ...those were all Enamel or Acrylic lacquer and even buffed ,they looked dull by comparision to todays Acrylic Urethanes that are used .

I will bet that NO Ricks since the early 1960's have had nitro lacquer on them .It just was not cost effective to do lacquer finish work .
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”