On a quest for the right Vox for me.

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

oreca
Intermediate Member

On a quest for the right Vox for me.

Post by oreca »

I was thinking this summer I might take a plunge at a second Rickenbacker, maybe a 12-string or something with toasters but I realise it's not exactly what I need. I already have a good sounding 370 Image

Currently my setup is an old Yamaha pre-amp that my uncle lent me for free and a '03 Vox Pathfinder 15R.
I really like how this setup sounds when I'm at home practicing just doing my stuff.
But when it comes to jamming with my friend who has a Les Paul running through some 30watt or 50watt Marshall, my sound sounds weak in comparision.

I'm taking a guess this is related to the fact that the Pathfinder isn't really a top class amp. I'm quite clueless in this department as far as it goes.

Anyways after doing my tax return the other day I realise I won't be so much in debt after this summer and I'll be able to afford an amp.
I'll most likely be buying off eBay since I'm still poor and can't afford brand new.

Before I go to a store downtown I'll want to know a bit more of the differences between the amps before actually trying them out with my guitar so I can make a judgement by myself.

I'm looking at the Valvetronix series since they don't seem too bad of a deal.

I know the AD60 and 120 came out before the 15/30/50 with the aluminium looking front.

Now, looking at NCM, I notice they sell the AD60VTX for 800 and the AD50VT for 390.
That's like twice the amount. Is it really 'twice as good' as the price would suggest?
I'm guessing this has to do with where they are being built and all that.
But on eBay the AD60VTX can be found alot cheaper then 800 so I don't want to rule it out because of the pricing.

I'm not big into distortion and all the effects that can be achieve but I consider those as a plus if I was to buy one.
What I really want is a nice clean sound that would most ressemble an AC-30 but I don't have the money for one of those.

So anyone that has any experience with these two amps or either one or has any suggestion, comments they'd like to tell me would be appreciated.

Like I said I'll be trying both if possible before I'm buying one.
The distributor might not have both the 60 and the 50 so I might be testing the 120 against a 15...
roadrunners

Post by roadrunners »

ok.....Go with the AD series...I've had the Ad30 and although I hate the way it looks....I love the sound. Its definetley much louder then 30 watts. the ac30 model sounds great.......you will not be dissapointed in this amp.....PLus you can buy a nice looking one at NCM....ive got a ****** looking one
"This is my personal quote"

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”