Popcorn Double Feature

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
royclough
RRF Consultant

Popcorn Double Feature

Post by royclough »

I mentioned this on another thread but Artie through a friend of his, has come up trumps and sent me what I have to assume is the original version of this song. Totally different to Searchers version and I will be interested to know if it is this version that The Searchers based their version on, as it is radically different.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roy: I trust that you will be exploring this idea with The Searchers when you get the chance. Please do let us know the outcome.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have had the opportunity to listen to the Tim Wilde recording of "Popcorn Double Feature." It is almost an entirely different song than the Searchers' version.

In the tempo and character of the 59th Street Bridge Song by Harper's Bizzare, the Wilde version is anything but. Light in its presentation and with upbeat harmonies that are reminiscent of The Association and the Fifth Dimension. Even a Winchester Cathredal brass band sound instrumental to boot.

The Searchers' version of Popcorn Double Feature is a more forceful and darker sounding song and I find myself less inclined to focus on the lyrics that I do when listening to the tamer Wilde version.

Searchers' avids will want to hear this and will marvel at the difference from the original by Wilde. The Searchers really do make Popcorn Double Feature their own, but I consider that a lighter version of the song may have been more successful for them.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Yes Peter I find it difficult to think that The Searchers based their version on this, if you consider "I don't believe" by The Gants, a song covered by The Searchers but never released until it appeared on the 30th anniversary CD, possibly courtesy of Tim Viney or indeed Western Union by The Five Americans you realise how drastically different The Searchers version of Popcorn is.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Do we know from Frank and John why The Searchers chose to cover this somewhat obscure song in the first place?

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

No wiser I'm afraid need to get them alone, spoke to them last night but bit hectic and John needed to get off as his wife was at the show, with it being in Liverpool, special show for all the performers I think. Frank could recall that they had an acetate of the sone but Tim Wride did not spring to mind he said.
david

Post by david »

Interview on BBC Sessions CD reveals song was introduced to the band by Tony Hatch and subsequently chosen by them as their next single.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Yes it was David but they can't recall who version was by
tim
Veteran RRF member

Post by tim »

Has anybody heard the version by The Fall?
The Searchers are the best!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

No Tim I have not it was done in the seventies I believe, I am still hoping to get another version by Giant Crab
tim
Veteran RRF member

Post by tim »

I tried to get The Fall version this weekend but it is no longer available. It was a single and also on their album "Extricate".
The Searchers are the best!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Re: Popcorn Double Feature

Post by royclough »

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”