Jerry Byrd

News, weather & sports

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

dale_fortune
Intermediate Member

Jerry Byrd

Post by dale_fortune »

Has anyone mentioned that Jerry passed away recently at his home in Hawaii. In the 50's Jerry was hottest steel player in Nashville. He had a signature model that Rick put out in the 50's, it was far superior to any Fender or Gibson at the time. Until Sho-Bud (Shot Jackson and Buddy Emmonds) came out with there Steel, the Jerry Byrd model was the best. God rest his soul and I'm sure he is playing in that heavenly band.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Dale, I did not know this. I had tried to contact him online a couple of years ago but was unsuccessful. Some company more recently came up with a Jerry Byrd reissue. Sorry to hear of his passing.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Sad news indeed.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Is he the steel player on some of the Byrds records or am I thinking of someone else?

Cole
dale_fortune
Intermediate Member

Post by dale_fortune »

Sneaky Pete Kleinow did most recording sessions with rock groups until Jerry Garcia picked up a bar and thought he could play the steel. He was weak by most standards, but he was in the grove with most substance abusers.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

He also abused steel and wood.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

He more than abused a vocal mike.......:-0

Return to “News At 11”