Guitar Straps

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jaybyrd
Veteran RRF member

Guitar Straps

Post by jaybyrd »

What kind of straps are you using with your Ricks? I have a Levy's rust colored suede strap on my mapleglo 330/12 and it seems to match the fretboard rosewood color pretty closely. But I can't decide what to use with my 1997 fireglo. I bought a black Rickenbacker vintage leather strap with pad, but I'm a little disappointed with that combo. I think I prefer the wider straps. What styles and colors do you like with fireglo?
Nothing compares to the sound of a Rick 12 with a JangleBox and a touch of chorus.
ricnvolved

Post by ricnvolved »

A few years ago I discovered the best idea going for guitar straps. There's this thing called a "Slider Strap" that looks kinda goofy, but man does it ever make playing a guitar or bass comfortable. It looks sort of like a rappelling harness and evenly distributes the weight of the instument over your shoulders & back. I could never go back to regular style shoulder straps.
robin

Post by robin »

I use a wide, white leather strap made by Joel at Stage Straps - can you believe I couldn't get one anywhere here in the UK! I ordered via his site (www.guitarstrap.com) and the service was fantastic - just like the strap...looks great with all my Rics.
Robin
620/12 FG
620/6 JG
4003 TUR
aladams

Post by aladams »

Hey, Jaybird: If you want to sell your Black RIC strap, let me know. AL A.
jaybyrd
Veteran RRF member

Post by jaybyrd »

Al,

Email me at tgrjay@hotmail.com
Nothing compares to the sound of a Rick 12 with a JangleBox and a touch of chorus.
corey

Post by corey »

I've got a Maroon vintage Ric strap (avec strap locks) coming from Mr. Mike Parks at the Ric page.

I prefer to sit than to stand and play with a strap, but as I'm getting into more gigging, I made this purchase as a necessary investment.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

When playing a 4001, I like to use a padded strap 'cause they tend to weigh more than my other stuff (my '79 weighs a TON..) but I go for comfort no matter what it is. I think good straps are a good investment even if they are a bit $$$..
Your shoulder will thank you at the end of the night!!! I actually have a different strap for each guitar/bass I have...
corey

Post by corey »

John,

That makes a lot of sense to have different straps for every instrument - they are all different, even if it's the same year/brand/series. I'm too much of a creature of habit in that regard - but am definitely part of that "always loyal to one brand" demographic that advertisers love.
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

I have a maroon vintage RIC strap and a couple of Levy's, one is tooled tan leather with the other being tan cotton webbing and suede leather ends. It is probably the most comfortable strap for use around the house.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
dannyboy
Veteran RRF member

Post by dannyboy »

Hey guys, does this mean that I got rip off from the music store? I never got a Ric strap with my new 330!!! Anyhow, I like to use a good ol' black leather strap 2" wide. I use a 5" wide padded for my bass since it's heavier!
DannyBoy :)
Nowhere man please listen, you don't know what you're missing...
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

The dealer threw in the RIC strap with the purchase of my 360/12 CW LH FG. I did not receive straps when I purchased either my 360 LH MG or 1997 LH MG.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
corey

Post by corey »

Yeah, you might get a strap as a "freebee", but by no means should you expect one when you order a Ric.
philco
Intermediate Member

Post by philco »

Well, Jaybyrd, it seems I chose the exact same strap as you did. The sueded straps tend to stay put and keeps the guitar headstock from taking a dive. I use the same type strap on my Tacoma Chief acoustic as well, since it is headstock heavy from having such a lightweight body. The Rickenbacker strap just didn't look as comfortable as well. I'm very pleased with the Levy suede leather strap.
wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

Here's a silly question: do you guys leave your straps on the guitars when you aren;t playing? I don;t both removing the (****** nylon) strap from my bass, but that's because it's an MIM J-bass that doesn;t get me paranoid about the finish.
"The only worthwhile conquests are those wrested from ignorance"
-Napoleon
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Philco, just for the record, our strap IS a Levy's sueded strap, but with our name imprinted on it. They're basically replicas of the original Bobby Lee straps with suede cover instead of the white cotton or wool (whatever it was).

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”