Liverpool Spawns The Beatles

History and music of Liverpool
carr

Post by carr »

"However, you got me stumped (and I have a great memory) with the ...3 piece band with a chinese/part chinese lead guitarist, especially the ...lyrical melodic Claptonesque/Paige style part. I don't remember any guitarist in Liverpool with those kind of chops ".

Im not sure they were from the 'pool but they were regulars ..... last time I saw them was 1968 maybe you were overseas then?

john
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

John: As I understand it, The Four Pennies were from Lancashire and were comprised of
ALAN BUCK drums FRITZ FRYER lead guitar, bass LIONEL MORTON guitar, vocals MIKE WILSHER guitar, piano It seems that they had a numbjer 1 hit in the UK with Juliet/Tell Me Girl in 1964 that according to one reference I read, knocked the Searchers out of the top spot.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
carr

Post by carr »

"John: As I understand it, The Four Pennies were from Lancashire ........
It seems that they had a numbjer 1 hit in the UK with Juliet/Tell Me Girl in 1964 that according to one reference I read, knocked the Searchers out of the top spot."

Their follow up release " Black Girl " If recall correctly didnt do too well.It Just hit the lower charts. I dont remember any further releases.

This thread illustrates the problems the Searchers may have had with Someday Im gonna love again. as aa stand alone song its ok but there was a lot of stiff competition and release dates were critical..I dont think juliet was a strong song..it was a little different( for a group ) and that may have gained it radio airplay that normally it would not have got... Similarly . Dave Berry and the Cruisers with the crying game.. This was different ( as was Dave Berry )...and If I remember the lead guitar used some kind of tone bending effect..a first , I think..

What was the merseybeats big hit..?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

John: I believe that the Merseybeats big hit was "I Think Of You" which reached number 5 or so in the UK. It was released on February 1, 1964 and remained on the charts for 11 weeks. Their other two recordings "Don't Turn Around" and "Wishin' and Hopin'" both stalled at the 13th position. As the Merseys they had a hit, "Sorrow", on PYE that did reach number 10 in April 1964.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
carr

Post by carr »

Peter: Thanks... As soon as I saw your reply the memories came back..None were partciularly strong numbers.. BTw where are you gettig your chart info from?

I started checkin out New Musical Expresss sites ( NME was the definitive musical Paper in UK Record Mirror shut up shop less than 10 years ago but never seemes to have the stength of NME) but didnt get far in my search for chart archives.

John
carr

Post by carr »

Did Liverpool also spawn Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

John: I believe that Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders were from Manchester. I always found their name to be interesteing in that the music, while appealing, was not really of the mindbending type.

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”