Bakelite Rick

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

stringbender

Bakelite Rick

Post by stringbender »

What a great forum! I have a black bakelite Rick electro 6 string steel I bought back in the mid 80’s…. I‘ll ask the same question that everybody else seems to ask …What year was this made? The store I bought it from said it was early 40’s but I think it’s a much later model .I know it's post –war but that’s about all I know about it. Details are: metal plates painted white, vertical shield logo on headstock (Rickenbacker electro); volume and tone knobs were already changed when I got it. Volume pot is stacked… it reads AB below that is …CBZ631617-20…below that is Type J. Tone pot might not be original..It reads 250K LN EOAB Pat number behind the bridge reads..PATNO 2089171. I hope all this helps. The sound of the pickup is very loud and very bright but still has a lot of bottom end... it’s a great playing and sounding guitar but I don’t use it as my main lap steel. But when I do play it I have to roll the treble on the amp and guitar back a bit. That horseshoe pickup really burns!! Any info would be greatly appreciated. I’ll try and dig out a photo.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Stringbender: Welcome to the Forum and thanks for taking the time to post this Bakelite Lapsteel.

You have one of the most coveted Rickenbacker lapsteels.

From the white plates on the body, assuming that they are original, this instrument cannot be before 1940. White plastic plates would date it to about 1949.

The patent no. puts the bridge at about 1938. Would you please measure the width of the horseshoes as 1 1/2 inch would have it a pre-war, 1 1/4 inch would have it post-war. Based on the other features you have described it is likely a 1 1/4 inch.

The vertial blade shaped logo-plate was introduced in 1949.

A photo would be appreciated.

Richard, are you out there?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
stringbender

Post by stringbender »

Thanks Peter for getting back so fast! This is the only photo I could find right now and its black and white. Sorry there not very good quality..I guess the way the sun was shinning on the building that day makes it look kinda weird like the picture is spliced but I assure you its not..Anyway the close up of the body and headstock should help. The horseshoe pickup is 1 ¼ inch which makes it post-war. The plates are metal. Thanks Stringbender
ImageImage

rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

It's a 49-55 B6. In 55 or so they converted to the BD6, same steel, headstock cover.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Sorry,
I tried to upload photos. It doesn't seem to be working for me.
Email me if you want pictures of either or both.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Richard: Sorry, it appears to be nip and tuck with your photos. Please make sure they are 500X500 pixels or less and 36K or less. I would be pleased to post them should you wish. Feel free to email them to me. peter@rickresource.com
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

"Please make sure they are 500X500 pixels or less and 365K or less"

I wish photos could be 365K, much better for the image quality! Image
stringbender

Post by stringbender »

Many thanks to Peter and Richard for the info on dating my rick steel...I figured it was around 50's or so..now I know for sure..Thanks again for your expertise. Stringbender
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Jeffrey: Me too. Sorry I asked for that one. I meant to say 36K.

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”