Your "Go To" Pedal for your Rick(s)

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

mark

Post by mark »

I found a N.O.S. Vox Treble Booster while on vacation in London, plugs into my Rick 360/12 and then into a Boss CS-3 Compressor on the floor it's "the business"! Nice shimmering tone that I couldn't get with even the tone control fully clockwise on the CE-3, or a Boss GE-7 Graphic EQ. The Vox seems to nail the range I was looking for.
ricrocks
Veteran RRF member

Post by ricrocks »

I built my own Dynacomp! This was my first attempt at anything like this and the thing actually works! Well almost... LOL The effect works great, but when switched off, I lose nearly all of my volume through the amp. I will work that out though... hopefully.

Im curious if anyone else dabbles in DYI pedals, as I cant recall it being mentioned anywhere in the forum. The project really wasnt all that hard, but very tedious. I hardwired the circuit on perfboard and it took me about a week to finish! Now I know why those boutique pedals are so expensive!! It aint the components... its the time involved. I suppose it was worth it though, as I had most of the parts on hand. My total $ investment was only ~20 bucks.

I dont have another compressor to compare it to, but I used older type components... mylar film and dipped tantalum caps... carbon resistors, etc., and it sounds pretty sweet with my 660/12. The tone is much more bright and crisp with loads of sustain. It also does an impressive job of evening out the volume of the strings, so that you can hear all the notes of a chord equally well.

I gotta give this unit (The GribTone Compressor) *grin* an A++ with a 12 string Ric plugged into it.

Now if only I can figure a way to turn it off........ lol
profjeff

Post by profjeff »

For me it's my Ernie Ball volume pedal and Boss DD-5 (digital delay). I love to use volume swells combined with spacey delays during intros and breaks in alot of my band's songs. Sounds especially good with my 360/6.
jzu

Post by jzu »

Right now, I'm using a cheapo Zoom 606 for various experimentations. This is not a recommended device if you want sonic quality but it's an "idea box" for later, serious work. And some of the effects are downright hilarious...
abaron

Post by abaron »

I use a ZVex SHO pedal if I just want to boost the signal without fundamentally changing my tone. I also add a Crowther Hotcake for some warm overdrive/distortion. Both work very well with the 360/6.
timeless_flight

Post by timeless_flight »

A CS-2 for compression and attack as well as a new toy; a DLS Chorus-Vib. Currently that gives me lots of fun with a 360/12
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

I recently acquired a Tech 21 Double Drive dist/od pedal. It has rendered all other useless and pale. It is simply the most musical, natural, versatile pedal I've ever used. It cleans up nicely and sound magnificent with my 360V64 and 1997 SPC. I put my Daddy-O away. I disconnected my Mesa Boogie V-Twin. The only way the Tech 21 could be improved would be to let you switch the Class A and Class A/B independently of each other. I'm certain that's in the works anyway.
I tend to use my Boss CS-3 compressor about 50% of the time.
Other pedal I have, but don't use regularly (any more) are:
Vox V847 wah
Dallas Arbiter Fuzzface
Danelectro Daddy-O
Danecho
Mesa Boogie V-Twin (tube preamp)
Boss Octave pedal (why did I buy this thing?)

Before getting the Tech 21, I had a Route 66 American Overdrive/Compressor. I read good thing about it. I played it for about 3.5 minutes and promptly put it back in the box. What a piece of garbage!
Cheers, Noel
Shaking the floor of Heaven
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

http://www.tech21nyc.com/DoubleDrive.htm

I can't express how good this pedal sounds. No 'metal' sounds to be found in it. No fizzy grainy-ness. No harshness. It has a nice tone sweep, so you can get a bright, treble-y sound if you desire (most pedals don't afford this luxury).
It actually lets the tone of my guitars cut through.

The only thing that might compare would be the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive. I haven't had the privilege of trying one yet.

*off of soapbox, Noel
Shaking the floor of Heaven
360dave660
Veteran RRF member

Post by 360dave660 »

Please sing the praises of Tech 21. I use a trademark 10 analogue emulation amp which does it all and made in the USA. I have not purchased a distortion stomp box precisely because their amp allows one to go from clean, to hi-gain, to hot amongs fender/marshall/mesa settings. I don't have a compression pedal yet for my 360/12, but I'm quite tempted to go with Tech21's comp-torsion simply because of my terrific experience with what is already in my possession.

If any other members use the trademark amps with their rics, I'd love to hear the settings that their using !
ric_rocks

Post by ric_rocks »

David: I purchased a new Tech 21 Trademark 60 last summer. Love it Image Im not sure of the differences with the TM10, but these are the clean settings I use most often.

660/12TP w/11k toasters Pyramid flats
CH1- drive=12(o'clock) punch=8 level=10 bite=on
MASTER- boost=12 reverb=9 low=1 high=1
*this setting is right out of the book (Vox AC30)
Also, try bumping the drive 1 notch and backing off the punch by 1.

330/6 w/hi gain PUs RIC compr round strings
CH1- drive=11 punch=7 level=12 bite=on
MASTER- boost=12 reverb=10 low=4 high=1
*had trouble getting a nice full sound with the hollow body until I added more low eq.

Frankly, I havent found CH2 (distortion channel) settings to make me happy. I havent fooled with this a lot, but CH2 seems too harsh. I want subtle distortion, when I want it at all, and I would welcome your suggestions for these settings. Maybe for me, a pedal might be the answer.

Per the Comptortion pedal: I exchanged several emails with a guy at Tech 21, about these. For compression, he recommended a Dynacomp. Seriously! LOL

Just for fun, I decided to build my own dyna and after working out the bugs, it sounds great with the 12 string! Tons of sustain and also can be used as a gain boost. Really cool blue LED as well :P I didnt really save much money, but it was a fun winter project. Best thing is, I get a warm fuzzy feeling using it... coz I made it myself Image

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”