Reviving Creedence Clearwater

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
admin
Site Admin

Reviving Creedence Clearwater

Post by admin »

One of my favourte groups of the late 1960s was Creedence Clearwater Revival. I love the short scale Rickenbacker of John Fogerty. If you missed CCR in the late 1960s and early 1970s, then go out and buy the DVD "Premonition." Fogerty is better today than he was in the 1960s and is still using the same amplifier. But I digress.

It has always been surprising to me that they did not have very many number one hits. Proud Mary, Bad Moon Rising, Green River, all strong compositions that had you singing along during your first listen. All classics.

So what was CCR's greatest contribution. Simple vocals, folksy performances, an aire of country, edgy but simplistic guitar licks, an expression of the common working person. A great package in my view. Unforgettable performances and songs of everyday life. Sophisticated yet subtle and inviting.

Time go go, I have to meet someone down on the corner.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

While CCR didn't have a slew of #1 hits they remain a staple of Classic Rock and Oldies radio still to this day, whereas a number of other bands of the same era simply don't get the same exposure anymore.

CCR is very distinctive in their sound. No other band comes close to the uniqueness of CCR. You're right Peter, a liitle country, edgy and basic. But Fogerty, even then, didn't shy away from his political views as in Fortunate Son.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Music is too important to be left to professionals.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Who'll stop the rain, Have you ever seen the rain are two of my favourites from them, but Travelling Band for sheer energy takes some beating.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Stan: Fortunate Son was indeed thought provoking.

Fortunate Son

Some folks are born made to wave the flag,
ooh, they're red, white and blue.
And when the band plays "Hail To The Chief",
oh, they point the cannon at you, Lord,

It ain't me, it ain't me,
I ain't no senator's son,
I ain't no fortunate one, no,

Some folks are born silver spoon in hand,
Lord, don't they help themselves, oh.
But when the taxman come to the door,
Lord, the house look a like a rummage sale, yes,

I ain't no millionaire's son.
I ain't no fortunate one, no.

Yeh, some folks inherit star spangled eyes,
ooh, they send you down to war, Lord,
And when you ask them, how much should we give,
oh, they only answer, more, more, more, yoh,

I ain't no military son,
I ain't no fortunate one,

I ain't no fortunate one, no no no,
I ain't no fortunate son, no no no,
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rictified

Post by rictified »

Maybe they didn't have a lot of number 1's but they had a lot of songs on the radio, they were ubiquitous during the early 70's. Everyone I knew had their albums. I have their first, was always my favorite one.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree Bob. I would have thought, however, given the airplay, that they would have been at the top of the charts with regard to all of their released singles. There is certainly more to a classic song than its position on the charts.

Scastles

Post by Scastles »

And as ambiquous as it reads, to a degree,the lyrics to Who'll Stop the Rain gives you pause to think as well.
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Chicago had the same traits as CCR. A lot of airplay at the time, but in Chicago's case they only had one #1 hit, and it came much later in their career...but radio loved 'em.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Not so many #1s? When i first heard "Cosmo's factory", i thought 10 songs out of 11 were #1s. They were all going round and round on our local radio. And if it's not enough, i have a so-cal "Rock encyclopaedia" which says that "about 50% songs from group's new album went to #1, and the rest hit the top 20 at least". That's it.
I liked their first LP. It was a cute garage record. And "Wrote a song for everyone" is, while a bit funny and naive, one of the most moving ballads i know. (well, my favourite is actually a "song" called "Rude awakening #2", but that's another story)
"Premonition" was nice enough, but sorry to say somehow nowadays' mr Fogerty doesn't really "attract" my attention. Sorry man. Mean, hard to say what it is, but something IS wrong indeed. The feeling is not the same maybe...
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sheena: Good points. Not all songs place the same around the world. Billboard is certainly not the only standard. Airplay certainly plays an important role in creating a classic as well.

bear

Post by bear »

While hosting a radio show on the local college radio show, "The Fabulous Saturday Morning Freak Show, this past Saturday one of the listeners called in after I played a track from "Premonition". He told me that earlier last week Creedence Clearwater Revival was on Good Morning America, IIRC. The Fantasy contract has expired and they are getting back together. Anyone else hear this?
tony_carey
Advanced Member

Post by tony_carey »

When I think of CCR, I always think of Sasifras for some reason, both fantastic bands. I don't know why I lump them together. Was Sasifras a '70's band....if so, I wont ask about them!
'Rickenbacker'...what a name! After all these years, it still thrills me.
wayang

Post by wayang »

Peter...thanks for posting the "Fortunate One" lyrics; now I can take the week off.

I'm thinking of covering that tune in my Vietnam Era band, as a medley/melange with "Time" by The Chambers Bros....I think they'll fit together fine.

Another CCR memory for me...the vamp from Suzy Q played by the USO rock band as the Playboy Bunny chopper descends to the stage...
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
Scastles

Post by Scastles »

Ah, Time Has Come Today (though abused commerically in various ways) still a fantastic tune!
...my soul has been psychedelicized.
wayang

Post by wayang »

Right on, Stan...it's kind of hard to write a song that makes a powerful enough statement that it can't be twisted into someone's scheme for selling something. What's cool about Fortunate One is there isn't a single line in the lyrics that could be used to sell luxury cars...
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”