Toxteth Riots (1981) : Were They Forseen in the 1960

History and music of Liverpool
anonymous

Toxteth Riots (1981) : Were They Forseen in the 1960

Post by anonymous »

The Toxteth Riots of 1981 revealed conflict in the greater Liverpool area that was sparked by a number of factors. As the 1960s was a period of reflection and protest around the world, I am wondering what evidence there was during that time that may have alerted Liverpool to the likelihood that such conflict was inevitable.

It would seem that comments made by Oswald Mosley of "Blackshirts" fame might have predicted such events. I am interested in your comments.
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Were the Toxteth Riots of 1981 forseen much earlier? Some answers to this question can be read in the Toxteth Tommies' article posted today on The Liverpool Project.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I was in Liverpool in 1981. I remember reading something about riots there before we left on our trip, but felt unconcerned. We arrived and were walking around on a Sunday, and it was deserted as I imagined then-president Reagan's post-nuclear- holocost world would soon be. We turned a corner and literally ran smack into a gang of four boys, each in leather and high spikey hair. A split second after my anxiety set in, they were laughing and apologizing in very Beatle-y tones. And so it was throughout England, wonderful people. But I swear those were the only people we saw in Liverpool that day.

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”