The Liberty recordings

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
ericxavier

The Liberty recordings

Post by ericxavier »

I would very much like to engage a few of the avid "historians" on this forum in a discussion of the rare and much critized Liberty singles. I have myself now finally got hold of the two "regular" of the three Image or four: as Roy Clough also speaks about a mystical release: "Shoot 'em up baby"): Umbrella Man and Kinky Kathy Abernathy. I have wanted them for years, and finally countryman and equal great Searchers-fan Einar R. in Trondheim sent me two of his old copies, as I fixed the purchase of the last Iron Door CD from amazon. I now have I think,( apart from the abovementioned 2 other Liberty-singles) everything the group has ever released of songs, on vinyl or CD )which is a satifaction for all collectors I suppose). But to the records: Are there any written information, any references in interviews etc. to these releases? I briefly spoke to Frank and John about them in my interview with the band last november in Plymouth ( ref: subject in this forum: "Article in norwegian newspaper",) and I remember John giving the impression they didn't think too much about them, at least not now. And laughing hard about the "Pasha"-single. I didn't write anything about this in my article, naturally (I didn't have that much space), but now I would love to hear opinions? Personally I kind of like Kinky Kathy .., it makes me laugh. It is really sort of what we in Scandinavia call "danceband"-music, w. reference to big orchestras and smooth 60s/70 groups who founded a sound that is also often characterized as "swedish-top" music (at least in Norway) Whereas "Umbrella" is a more typical Searchers harmony-song ( although the tune isn't that strong in my opinion), Kinky Kathy has this happy-go-lucky scandinavian-like refrain and rhythm. Very un-Searchers-like, I feel, but maybe not..? It really also sounds like an attempt to join the Eurovision Melody contest - and there's a lot to be said about that ...
What do you others feel about these songs, those of you have them, or actually have listened to them. And to the flip-sides: Susanna and Over the Weekend (the last a Frank Allen-song - pretty weak and equally "Eurovision song-contest", I think). Glad to hear opinions.
Erik
Once upon a midnight dreary / while I pondered / weak and weary ..
tim
Veteran RRF member

Post by tim »

"Umbrella Man" is a much under-rated single and "Shoot 'Em Up Baby" is quite good as well = both well up to The Searchers' standard. "Kinky Kathy Abernathy" and (the 'PASHA' single) "Somebody Shot The Lollipop Man"/"Pussy Willow Dragon" are what I would call 'novelty' tracks - designed for the late 60s. In my view 'Lollipop Man' is in the same vein as Keith West's "Excerpt From A Teenage Opera" )with its 'Grocer Jack' line). "Over The Weekend" and "Suzanna" are self-penned B-sides which The Searchers did throughout their recording career from the PYE days. All the LIBERTY tracks were on a REPERTOIRE label CD of (about) 10 years back.
The Searchers are the best!
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

I agree "Umbrella Man" was a good single, not sure I concur with "Shoot Em Up" though. "Suzanna" was a great track, far better than "Kinky". As for the Pasha single least said the better, During the Liberty, I believe I am correct in saying thar for some tracks session musicaians were used, only Searchers involvement being Mike's vocal.

I have also been puzzled by the fact that in 1969, Frank introduced the track "Don't Shut Me Out" as a new single, this was in the Liberty period. Track never released but surfaced on the RCA CD released by Tarragon
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I would love to know the inspiration for Suzanna. It reminds me very much of a song recorded by Peter, Paul and Mary entitled Poly Von. The similarity between these songs is quite striking from a lyrical and musical perspective.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

By the way, Roy Clough makes a number of interesting comments about the Liberty recordings here.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Not sure about the inspiration for this song, as the actual subject matter is related to suicide, unless I'm missing the plot.

I believe I am correct in stating that one of John's Daughters is called Suzanna though and song title is probably inspiration through the connection
mygeneration
Veteran RRF member

Post by mygeneration »

Frank said only last week that The Searchers only involvement with the Liberty material was to add vocals. Everything else was done by session musicians

Gary
david

Post by david »

Why didn't the Searchers play on these records?What's the story behind that?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

David: This may have been an attempt to break out of the "old groove" and get a fresh new start in the charts under a different name.

tim
Veteran RRF member

Post by tim »

That's definitely the motive behind releasing the "Somebody Shot The Lollipop Man"/"Pussy Willow Dream" 45 under the name of 'Pasha'.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

According to press reports Ihave subsequently read The Searchers did not want to put their name to the Pasha Single, I covered this in the article "Take it Or Leave It".

Virtually all the Liberty releases were just a vehicle for the Producer Kenny Young, who wemnt on to have some success as a producer in the seventies. The Searchers were probably still a bit shell shocked from having been dropped by Pye and I beleive were just glad to be still recording and went along with anything they were told.
david

Post by david »

My 2 cents worth on the Liberty track "Umbrella Man".Great song.The hand clapping is infectious being a feature of the song .This combined with the strings and a soulful Mike Pender vocal makes for an intriguing and catchy record. I'd like to see this one brought back for their live performances along with Popcorn Double Feature I might add.
tim
Veteran RRF member

Post by tim »

"Umbrella Man" maybe (for the all-evening shows), "Popcorn Double Feature" no way!
chriscurtisfan

Re: The Liberty recordings

Post by chriscurtisfan »

Can Roy or somebody tell me if Chris Curtis is singing on this? I know it wasn't released until the 90's per Roy's comment on his video....

It sounds like Chris, but I know John does high harmony as well.

Thanks everybody!!!
:)
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
royclough
RRF Consultant

Re: The Liberty recordings

Post by royclough »

No this was allegedly recorded while at Liberty but turned up on RCA Second Take CD, so I ahve to assume it was recorded during the RCA years, asked John once but he either didn't want or couldn't remember.

I do recall however Frank Allen introducing it as their new single back in 69 at some dingly club they were playing.

It never surfaced I'll ask Frank again as there are 1 or 2 tracks on the CD which are strange.

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”