Help needed - what to tell my wife

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

carr

Post by carr »

Try the " I bought it cheap, its an investment . Ill offload it soon and make a profit. Ill need to keep playing it so the neck doesnt warp"
360dave660
Veteran RRF member

Post by 360dave660 »

you all remind of when i used to use my paper route money to buy kiss records as an eight year-old and hoped my mother would not catch me !

My wife is more resourseful than most, but, the deal is the following : when I get a toy, she gets one too. In 2000, I bought a 660; I bought her a watch. In 2001, I bought a Gretsch 6129; she bought diamond earrings ... This year, I bought her a ring for the birth of our second child ... it cost so much, I bought myself a gift : a Gretsch 6122.
I got what I wanted, she got what she wanted and I never, ever get heck for playing my guitars. You should read an article in the August '02 issue of Vintage Guitar about Art Wiggs, a "vintage guitar renaissance man" and how he caught hell from his wife when he started buying boat loads of pre cbs fenders and gretsches in the early 1980's ...

Be good to your wives gentlemen, they still give us things that are better than guitar tone !!!
craigv
Veteran RRF member

Post by craigv »

I'm not sure that deception is the answer. Sometimes being direct and turning tables is effective. It can definitely be dramamtic...

"Uh, yes, this IS a new guitar. How much were those Joan&David shoes, and the Versace dress you bought last week?"

"Don't worry, Rics hold their value. You'll get at least $500 if we split assets in the divorce".
ngwca

Post by ngwca »

If one wants to deceive, I would say I won it in an online contest (if you won't leave a big hole in the shared bank account).

If one wants to be a man, you say: "I'm buying a Rickenbacker today...hell, I'm buying two Rickenbackers, a 6-string and a 12-string. Is there anything you want while I'm out?"

I used the first strategy in my first marriage and the second strategy in my current marriage.
tomcollins

Post by tomcollins »

In Virginia these usually work:

"Shut up and get in the truck.". (foreplay here)

"Put your teeth in before you talk to me.".

"It was either you or this guitar and you see what choice I made so why are you still here?".

"Don't worry, we have plenty of room for it in the double-wide.".
roadking

Post by roadking »

After 7 months of lusting after the 650 Dakota, I finally ordered one from Mike Parks at The Music Connection. Mike treated me great. The Dakota arrived in perfect shape, was set up well, plays great and it even smells good! I think the smell is from the tung oil finish. Love the weight, the thin body, the humbuckers, the sustain and the wide neck.

You know what I had to tell my wife? Nothing!

I've had the Dakota sitting out for 3 weeks now, and she has also been in the room when I have been playing it.

Something is going on here, as she has always said something about other new guitars. I'm kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”