No argument here it's page

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
harley

Post by harley »

Brian, very interesting lyrics. It reminded me of some of the early lyrics by Bernie Taupin, especially from the "Tumbleweed Connection" period. One thing about the Elton John-Bernie Taupin songwriting team is that they frequently explored subject matter that was decidedly "non-pop".

On a side note, if you're listening to Contneporary Christian music, there's a band called PFR that broke up several years ago (reforming a couple of times for specific projects) that is frequently referred to as Beatlesque or Brit-pop sounding. Personally, I hear a lot of Badfinger influence in them, but you might want to check them out if you get a chance.
harley

Post by harley »

Roy, the only Searchers music I have is from the "Definitive Pye Collection". Is the song you're talking about available on another label?
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Yes recorded well after their glory days and on an album called Hungry Hearts released in 89 but initially only in Germany.

No problem though if you would like to hear it I'll send it on, just let me know offline if you wish.
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Thank you Harley for what I consider to be an unbelievable compliment.

You and Roy are far too kind with your review of my lyrics. I only wish I were in fact worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as those great writers.

Unfortunately I am not. I am just a musician who loves to play guitar and create songs. There are hundreds of thousands of people like me writing material for their own pleasure. Many of those writers are probably far more talented. But thank you for your kind words.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurl.exe?clipid=029368803030006900&cid=600111

earlier on in this thread Les Fleur De Lys were mentioned, here is a small clip of their version of Circles also done by The Who
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roy: I really like this sound clip of Les Fleur De Lys. It would certainly be worth getting a number of their song. From this brief recording it would seem that their vocals were strong.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

https://s42.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0Q5GAJFKVS6Y32EGQN3VD0OJM1
Different link used may make it easier for some of you who don't wis to download a software programme to get tracks.
It was mentioned earlier in the thread about Seven Daffodils by Les Fleur De Lys, Brian seemed to think he has a copy but I can't find any reference to it though clearer I do not doubt his veracity at all, all of us probably have rarities.

Anyway this version which made the UK charts one of two versions other by The Cherokees, is by the Mojos, an underrated Merseybeat band in my view.Don't know if any of you North Americans got a 70's TV show from UK called The Professionals, tow characters called Bodie and Doyle MI5 agents were played by Martin Shaw and Lewis Collins, the latter of which was at one time the Bass in the Mojos(now don't you feel better for knowing that)

Enjoy great track. well in my subjective opinion of course.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roy: I have never seen "The Professionals." Right you are though, the recording of Seven Daffodils is well done. A very nice lead vocal and the harmonies, very reminiscent of The Mamas and the Papas harmonies.

A very booming bass that detracts, however, the equalizer function removes this to within the tolerable range. That bass was the sound engineers' nightmare I am sure.

As with most of these early recordings out of Liverpool, I continue to be most impressed with the talent and remain perplexed as to why it was only a handful that reached stardom. this group should have done better in my view. Do we have any idea who wrote the song?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

An American folk group Brothers Four as far as I know, lyrics below, though Mojos do it differently.

I would not have made a Mamas and Papas connection but on re-listening I can see why you made that comment. I have some other Mojos stuff if you wish to hear it offlist.

Seven Daffodils
Brothers Four

I may not have a mansion
I haven't any land
Not even a paper dollar
To crinkle in my hand
But I can show you morning
On a thousand hills
And kiss you and give you seven daffodils

I do not have a fortune
To buy you pretty things
But I can weave you moon beams
For necklaces and rings
And I can show you morning
On a thousand hills
And kiss you and give you seven daffodils

Oh, seven golden daffodils
Are shining in the sun
To light away to evening
When our day is done
And I will give you music and a crust of bread
A pillow of piney boughs to rest your head
A pillow of piney boughs to rest your head...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Roy: I have not thought of the Mojos as being folk rock artists before, however, given the history and lyrics of this song presented here I guess they would qualify.

Thanks for again telling my fortune.

winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Roy,

interesting thing the Mojos version is almost identical in arrangement and lyrics to the version by Les Fleur De Lys (which seems to have been lost from my collection) except that Les Fleur De Lys musicianship and singing was much better.

I am wondering if they both had an opportunity to record and release and the Mojos won out? You know how that used to work back then. First guy out of the gate wins.

I finally remembered the lead guitarists' name of Les Fleur De Lys (at the time I knew them) who played a Ric. His name was Frank Smith. If I remember correctly he lived out near the New Forest in Southampton. Dave Jay always took me there so I did not pay a lot of attention to where he was going. Mostly because we were always so busy chatting and planning our next strategy to get noticed.

Frank was a great guitarist and great singer. Did a far better job that the Mojos in my book. Les Fleur De Lys played it like an anthem. It made you want to sing the song along with them.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I re-read the Brothers four lyrics and they are not at all what was sung by the Mojos and Les Fleur De Lys. I wonder how the change in lyrics came about. Any ideas on that one Roy?

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

As I said earlier Brian there was another version which charted by The Cherokees, I'll send you that offlist to compare. Perhaps Le fleur De lys were not quick enough off the mark.
The Mojos version certainly does not stay true to the lyrics but clearly same song.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

One of the more interesting aspects of music from Liverpool was that artists often adapted original pieces to suit their own style and fancy. One of the hallmarks of the British Invasion was often times taking American tunes and reissuing them, many times for the better, for resale in the US market.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”