Just a thought...

Those who flock to The Byrds
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Just a thought...

Post by rick12dr »

So I'm listening to the Byrds reissued 1st 4 albums on CD the other day, and looking at the disc label, and is this a coincidence or what?
The old red Columbia record label used to have the words on it "360 sound".Uhh, gee, isn't that also McGuinns' "sound" as well?Prophetic? Ironic?
Anyway, just enjoy those old Byrds tunes!!
mark_telfer
Veteran RRF member

Post by mark_telfer »

You're not alone, Don. Worse still, I used to look at the second two albums' covers and labels and bemoan the opportunity that Columbia wasted in not calling them "370 Sound".

Come to think of it, did any other mid '60s Columbia artists use Rickenbackers to achieve their "360 Sound" ? (Paul Revere & The Raiders or Chad & Jeremy, for example ?).
"But the man has a 47-string guitar." (Grace Slick on Paul Kantner's attempt to tune his 366/12 during a Winterland show of October 31 1969).
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Mark;
well, in the beginning of the Byrds, 360 sound would have been right on, as 370 sound wasn't till Eight Miles High.
I'm not sure I've seen the whole story on this, but long ago, I read a thing where Gene Clark of the Byrds supposedly had something to do with
redesigning the Columbia Records labels , and I wonder if it was that section of the round red label on the edge where it says "360 Sound", with arrows pointing left and right of the saying.
Anyone got the scoop on that?Tomcat?
I think I vaguely recall in '66 on Dick Clarks' "Where the Action Is" show, which had the Raiders as kind of the "house band", that Drake Levin, the original guitarist, may have been seen with a Rick,likely a 360 something. But he was more of an Epiphone guy, who also played a Mosrite 6/12 doubleneck on a couple occasions.
That's what I really remember him for.
I could be wrong, but isn't there a pic elsewhere in this Rick Forum site featuring pics of Rick users, where Chad and Jeremy are shown with a Rick? Maybe I'm thinking of something else, but you might want to verify this.It's certainly possible, as a lot of 60s groups used Ricks at least a couple times, if only for a random TV show.

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”