The Hyphen Thing

History and music of Liverpool
jbarnes

The Hyphen Thing

Post by jbarnes »

Good people across the pond we call Atlantic, tell me about the propensity of usage of the hyphen in a great deal of your surname (s).... I just could not walk around as a Ferretti-Barnes..
Hummmmmmmmmm,Gotta think about that one... OK, I'm done.....
jbarnes

Post by jbarnes »

Or for that matter, a Barnes-Ferretti... John Cleese would have my ***.....
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

And he just might, too... (Did I say that?) Oh, that was Graham Chapman anyway.

A hypenated surname is to me the mark of the upper-middle-class twit, Sloaney-baloney, berk. As opposed to the Royal Twit Charlie who is most certainly NOT upper-middle-class. Apologies to everyone I've offended with this post. Including HRH the POW, who I'm sure cares.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
jbarnes

Post by jbarnes »

Kinda like attorneys and the term Esq. (esquire)
jbarnes

Post by jbarnes »

Watch out PW, MI5 is enroute......
jbarnes

Post by jbarnes »

Or "knocking up" your sweetie first thing in the morning...............
jbarnes

Post by jbarnes »

Send them "coconut shells"..........
jbarnes

Post by jbarnes »

Bring out yer dead......................(but I ain't dead yet)
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

OK gents and I use the term loosely. You've had your laugh and as usual us Brits are on the receiving end. Besides you knew you were going to get stick from someone after your uncontrolled rants. All in good fun though.

Image.

I believe that hyphenated names came about when people belonging to the middle and upper class did not want their children and their associates to lose track of their lineage.

This was a way of preserving the womans maiden name. Yes they sound haughty but they do serve a very useful purpose.

By the way John the colloquialism used is: "knock me up in the morning". In other words; bang on my bedroom door if I have not stirred before you. A very sensible request in my books. Particularly since the alarm clock was generally given to the person who had to get up first.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

The keeping of the matronymic (mother's maiden name) as well as the grandmother's maiden name is common in Latin culture.

My eight-year-old daughter has a name that sounds like the roll call at a United Nations mixer:

Juliana Iluminata Nobrega Fonseca Wilczynski.

Iluminata is her great-grandmother's name, Nobrega is her grandmother's maiden name, Fonseca is her mother's maiden name, Wilczynski is mine (obviously).

Her actual first name is "Juliana Iluminata", much as we in the USA would use "Mary Ann". It would not fit on her social security card, which says as a result something like "Juliana Ilumi".

She was conceived when I knocked up my wife first thing in the morning.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Good day Paul,

That vernacular is also well known to me, since I have spent the past 40 years in this part of the world. Interesting to see that you have a latin connection. My family has has kept an oral history and they have long believed we have a Spanish connection on in the distant past on my mothers side of the family. Her name in fact was Tonita. Toni for short. A very unusual name for an Irish person born in the 1930's.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
kevin
Veteran RRF member

Post by kevin »

Ahem.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

See what I mean? Arrogant, the whole lot of 'em.
― Kurt Vonnegut
wayang

Post by wayang »

It's spelt Strieb-Griebling, but it's pronounced Throat Warbler Mangrove...
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

"See what I mean? Arrogant, the whole lot of 'em."

I am used to that sort of abuse of my Heinz 57 English/Irish (and perhaps Spanish)heritage. On occasion I've endured worse.

I certainly don't consider myself arrogant but I've been called an a**hole a few times in my life and well ---- if the truth be known I probably have deserved the moniker.

Any way all in good fun.

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”