Model B Scale Length

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

matz

Model B Scale Length

Post by matz »

I have seen references to different examples of the Bakelites that give the scale length as: 22.3, 22 and 1/2, 22 and 5/8, and 22 and 3/4 inches. Did the guitars vary, or are these just faulty measurements. If so, which one is right. DM
Australian citizen, resident alien.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Very interesting question. I always assumed the scale length of all Rick steels to be 22 1/2" except for the A-25 frypan. I measured all the Ricks in my collection including a pre-war B-6 and a post-war BD-6. Both are 22 1/2" as are all the others except the A-22 frypans, which are 22 1/4". I can't tell the difference when playing them. Maybe Rick Aiello can shed more light on this subject.
raiello

Post by raiello »

Bakelites = 22.5"

A22 = 22.25"

A25 = 25.375"

Silver Hawaiians, Model 59, NS = 22.5"

The variation mentioned by Dave M. ... probably stems from folks measuring at various places (dead center of nut to dead center of bridge ... etc).

Measuring from where the string "leaves the nut" to where the string "enters the bridge" is the proper way ... since that is the length of string that is in motion ... and 12th, 7th, 5th, etc fret harmonics are based.

Hope that helps.

PS Jerry Byrd short scale Frypans (Sho-Bud and Excel) ... are 22" scales.

JB was "slick" enough to decrease the scale length on these ... to compensate for having an 8 string "pan".

Basically this gives you the exact "angles" for slant work ... as found on a 7 string Bakelite ... his favorite. Image
matz

Post by matz »

Thanks for the quick replies. Back before the Internet it would have taken me several months to get this info. Aloha, DM
Australian citizen, resident alien.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Rick,
My A25, s.n. 028, with "Electro" engraved in the headstock has a 24.75' scale length. Mine is obviously one of the earliest models, but I wouldn't have thought there would be a .5" difference. What do you think?
raiello

Post by raiello »

Those "Holy Grails" ... are completely different "animals" ...

Many things are unique compared to the later prewar production models.

The magnets are huge (thickness and gap size) ... the bobbin is completely different and the mounting scheme is very odd ...

It doesn't surprise me at all that a different casting was used ...

Doug Smith is the only other guy I know with one ...

I've seen a few with the big magnets at the HSGA convention ... but they all have the "badge logo" ... not the "script" ...

The rarest of the rare ... for sure Image

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”