325v59

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rickatick

325v59

Post by rickatick »

I'm new over here and I started this post earlier at the wrong topic. Apologize for that.
Has there been different v59 released in the past years with significant difference's and if so, wich one's are better or worse?
BobKat
Advanced Member

Post by BobKat »

The 325v59 is fairly consistent from 1985 to 2001. The replacement, the 325c58, is cosmetically similar in many regards but really a completely different guitar if you compare them. Everrything from tuners to pickup construction to the body material, thickness, and shape are different. Fingerboard, the whole 9 yards. I'll say that there really is not one part on the v59 that is shared with the c58. With the benefit of years of research and fact discovery, and the power of the Internet, The c58 is much closer to the guitar that Rickenbacker was emulating, John Lennon's 1958 Rickenbacker 325. Both are great guitars for different reasons.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Bob, the series started in 1984. My 325v59 JG dates to October 1984 (XJ date code):

The early ones like mine have Kluson Deluxe Doubleline tuners.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

I LOVE my v59.... A great-looking and sounding little guitar.

"Once I've held and played the best, baby, I won't settle for less!"
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

That Turquoise is sooooo gorgeous, Melissa. Glad that I was outbid on that in the long run, it's appropriate to spread the joy around ...
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Geeeeez!! Just when I think it's safe, Melibee goes and does it again...... drool, dribble, slurp, salivate.....

I love that thing! Can't wait to see it in person. If I'm a good boy, can I play it, Melissa? Can I, can I, huh, huh..... can I?

It will be the first short scale Rick I've ever seen face to fretboard!
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Awww, Melissa...

Aitch, it'll be at least the third. I have two and you're gonna be in SF first...and who knows what else the locals have in store?
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Gary, I didn't know you bid on that one! Really? I'm glad I got it too, LOL! We just couldn't let that one get away--it was a love at first sight kind of thing!

Aitch, you will absolutely be able to play it when you come to visit! No need to grovel--I'm happy to share my Rics with people who love them! Image
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

....However, even if you fall head-over-heels in love with her, she'll never be for sale!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Aitch, we can always build you a copy!
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Of course you are right, Paul - it totally slipped my mind that you had a couple. Build a copy? ....Sacrilege!!!

Believe me, Melissa, I wouldn't dream of even asking. None of my Ricks will ever be for sale either (extreme hardship notwithstanding). 'Fraid they're stuck with me...
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Aitch, 'tis no sacrilege...imitation being the sincerest, etc.

I'd start out with an '80s 320 and go on from there...my own Autumnglo 325 was originally going to be a copy of M's 325; I even got so far as mixing the color, which I have saved for some future project...
― Kurt Vonnegut
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Hmmmmm... I've never seen a turquoise Gretsch!
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

"which I have saved for some future project..."

Hmmm, wonder what that could be?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Not, John. But wait a minnit...

...that would really get some knickers in a twist, wouldn't it?

Mwahahahahahahaha......
― Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”