Touching up enamel on backside of upper pickguard

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Lee_Dempsey

Touching up enamel on backside of upper pickguard

Post by Lee_Dempsey »

(Pardon the cross-post from alt.guitars.rickenbacker):

I have a new 360/12CW FG, which I bought still factory-sealed in the box (and promptly registered with RIC). The guitar plays like a dream after a slight bridge height adjustment and intonation of the top string pair (yes, I know the history; it still isn't quite perfect, but good enough for my chops).

I have one very minor annoyance, however -- on several places along the edge of the upper signature pickguard, the white enamel is chipped or scratched (I'm assuming it's white enamel on the edges and bottom, sprayed onto a clear piece of plexiglas), giving the appearance that the pickguard itself is chipped on the edge. But running my finger along it, it's just in the paint. It certainly doesn't affect the playability of the instrument, and since it's mostly along the upper edge, the only time you can really see it is when you look down toward the strings when the guitar is in playing position...

I called Henry, thinking that RIC would let me take the upper pickguard off, mail it back to them, and they would touch it up or exchange it. But when Henry talked to "his supervisor," she said that I need to take it back to the dealer, possibly for an exchange of the guitar...(So much for a "minor annoyance.")

So I'm thinking about just touching up the chip spots myself with some white enamel. Mark -- any recommendations on a white paint that will blend in and won't turn yellow? Or should I stick to my guns with RIC and demand that they replace the pickguard? Or just ignore it and enjoy playing my baby (which gets pretty darn close to "the sound" through a Boss CS-3, Fender vintage outboard reverb, and Vox Cambridge 15!)?

Thanks,
Lee Dempsey
Charlotte, NC
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Well I don't know who said no to Henry but that is poor customer service .Yes I do understand the relationship between the store and the company is one that must be maintained ,but the simple need of the customer needs to be taken care of.

The cost of shipping back an instrument from NC to Calif ,just to fix this guard problem is simply red tape.

Talk to Ralph and find out what does it really take and say come on lads ....lets just take care of this .

If they can't due to a 'suit' ,then I will respond to you again ...keep me posted.

This is not that hard to rememdy.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”