Big Ron and The Searchers

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
admin
Site Admin

Big Ron and The Searchers

Post by admin »

I have been slowly gathering information with regard to Big Ron who performed with the Searchers for a time. The brief history that follows is what I have been able to compile to date. Please, should you have any additional comments to make with respect to Big Ron send them along. Many thanks goes out to Mike Gargrave for taking the time to send this information along.

Big Ron's real name is Ron Woodbridge and in the year 2001 is a man in his early sixties. It would seem that he is about two or three years older than John McNally. Age sleuths should know that Tony Jackson is about the same age with his stated 1940 birth date perhaps a tad optimistic, having Tony more youthful than his birth records might allow. But such comments are tangential at this point and will be explored further when appropriate.

Ron Woodbridge was raised in Anfield and as a young man sang with early skiffle as well as rock and roll groups around Liverpool in the late fifties. Ron has been apparently commented that he didn't remain with the early Searchers very long as "they were too young" for him.

In 1960, Ron auditioned for Mecca with the aim of singing in their ballrooms. He successfully passed the audition and embarked on a successful singing career, perfoming in Liverpool's ballrooms. In 1963, Mecca transferred him to Edinburgh where he worked in the Palais ballroom until 1970. Ron reckons that the motivation for his transfer was related to the Mersey boom. Mecca transferred a couple of other scouse singers as it was considered that they would bring in the punters. Delighted with his raise in pay, Ron was happy enough to come north.

Upon is arrival in Edinburgh he would soon adopt the stage name of Shorty Rodgers. It is of interest that he continues to use this name up until the present day. His backing band was known as "The Giants". Shorty developed a fine reputation as a dynamic performer. Apparently Mike Pender has made reference to Ron's act describing Shorty's stage act as an energetic one in which he danced and jumped around a lot. Ron is approximately six feet tall with blond hair and there are some who have conjured up images of Ron on stage as being comparable to that of Rory Storm.

In 1970, Mecca changed their policy and Shorty was given the sack. The dawning of disco could been seen on the horizon and and the once brilliant and rising Mersey boom had finally set. As a consequence, Ron took a day job in the construction business but continued to perform in Edinburgh pubs and clubs in the evenings. A revolving cast of "Giants" continued to back him up, with new artists replacing the old. Ron continues to sing as Shorty Rodgers to this day and is a semi-legend in Edinburgh.

Mike Gargrave played with Shorty in in 1998-99 and has some interesting observations to make concerning Shorty and The Giants. Mike writes "During my time with the Giants, who were all under five foot eight I may add, Ron's set was made up of rock and roll songs from the fifites and early sixties. I dont recall one song dating from after 1963. He didn't feature any Searchers songs or Merseybeat numbers. He has never traded on his Searchers connection, regardless of how tenuous it may be, and I respect him for this."

Mike also had a number of pertinent comments about the connection between Big Ron and The Searchers. Mike related "A couple of points that I would like to correct regarding various web pages which mention Ron. He has never lived in Glasgow and I have never heard him claim that he thought of the Searchers' name. He has claimed to have introduced Mike, who he met first, to John but I am not sure of this point, and that's as diplomatic as I can be. Ron has said that he never met Tony or Chris as they joined after he had moved on.

Mr. Gargrave explains Big Rons' interview with Spencer Leigh in the late 1990s. He recalls "In 1998 I contacted Spencer Leigh on Ron's behalf. Spencer invited Ron down to Liverpool to be interviewed for his BBC Merseyside radio show. This thrilled Ron as he was getting some recognition after forty years."
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have recently learned that Ron has recently released a CD but I don't have any of the details at present.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am still looking for the elusive Mr. Woodbridge. Should anyone have information regarding his rumoured CD I would be grateful to hear about it. Perhaps you could write a short review and post it here.

swampy

Re: Big Ron and The Searchers

Post by swampy »

hello
shorty rodgers is still alive and well as i write , playing gigs in edinburgh , in fact playing tonight at the central bar in leith,edinburgh.
and again on the 27th with his band the giants. seen him a few times as guest with the rab howatt band who play thursday nights at
harry's bar. gig details can be found on the gigguide.co.uk site if you look for listings in edinburgh under rock gigs.

cheers....swampy
BLINDPOET

Post by BLINDPOET »

Big Ron is actually playing in the Blind Poet pub in west nicholson street Edinburgh on the 16th of July this month - he plays once a month there with his backing band "the GIants"
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

George: Thanks for this update. Please send us a couple of photos should you get the opportunity. It would be great to hear from Big Ron in reference to The Searchers as well.

swampy

Post by swampy »

here's a couple of johnny wylam's videos from bannermans that feature big ron :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGyF6PcoOaU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_etTfMD5PI

cheers
hamilton_square

Post by hamilton_square »

This is a recent photo of Big Ron (aka Shorty Rodgers) flanked by John McNally and Frank Allen ... I can see why he's called Big Ron, I understand that he stands 6' 3''.
Big Ron.JPG
This is a recent photo of him in action on stage in Edinburgh.
Big Ron in action.JPG
Click on this LINK to take you to Big Ron’s My Space page and a sample of the music of Shorty Rodgers … mind you, I see that nobody as signed in for more than two years.

Click on this LINK to read a recent Edinburgh Evening News article on the longevity of Ron Woodridge.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Peter and Ahmed. I will have great fun checking out these links and examinng the photos and artist page.

royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Yes thanks for the clips really enjoyed them, the mystery of who actually came up with then name The Searchers remeains to this day, as I see it only three people know Mike Peder and John McNally they disagree apparently and Ron Woodbridge who has never confirmed it.

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”