Behind The Times

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

admin
Site Admin

Behind The Times

Post by admin »

It seems as if I am behind the times once again. I was in a local music store on Saturday, sadly not a Rickenbacker in sight.

To my surprise I noticed an artist series Fender with a maple fretboard that was lacquered. Taking a page from Rickenbacker's book so to speak. So how long have Fender been producing instruments with a lacquered board?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

My 71 Strat has a lacquered maple neck and fretboard. It was like that when I bought it and it looks like it is the original finish.

To be fair though, my Strat had a number of custom shop items installed on it. The guard the gold hardware and the tuners were all Fender custom shop add ons.

So it is conceivable that my guitar was either a custom shop job or the original owner upgraded the hardware. But the main thing is that the neck appears to be a factory finish.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Brian, it is not as bad as I thought, only 34 years behind.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Peter, I don't think that Fender guitars with a lacquered neck are very common.

I have 9 Strats and four of them have maple necks. Only my 71 has a lacquered finish on the fretboard.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
mikeylc

Post by mikeylc »

Peter when you say lacquered do you mean finshed? Fender and most manufacturers put some sort of clear coat on their maple fretboards. Maple absorbs finger oils and gets those ugly gray/black stains when it is not finished. The older vintage stuff that has those stains was more than likely finished in a thin coat of nitro. Since it's thin it has worn down over the years from playing. Fender changed from finishing their necks in nitro to poly around '68. If a Fender has actual nitro lacquer or acylic lacquer for that matter it was probably a refin or custom shop. Fender did not finish their rosewood FB as a regular practice.
a couple of Shadows a Blackstar and an Annie.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Mike. The new maple-necked Fender I saw was lacquered with a high gloss finish reminiscent of the appearance of the Rickenbacker finish.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It seems that the instrument I saw was from the Fender American Vintage Series. I guess these lacquered maple fretboards were produced in 1957 and have been around all along.

mikeylc

Post by mikeylc »

The real lacquered boards have a lot more gloss than the poly boards. The current American Standards have a satin finish. My 71 P has a poly board with a nitro headstock. Fender seemed to change finishes and processes a lot. RIC has very consistent throughout the years.
a couple of Shadows a Blackstar and an Annie.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree the RIC fretboard finishing is great. It does seem a little thinner on my 1966 450/12 than on my more recent Rickenbackers though.

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Fender makes a SoCal Speed Shop Strat that has a painted fretboard:Image
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Peter, the fretboard finish thickness (and hence, appearance!) has changed as conversion varnishes with more body have come on line, so to speak.

Earlier guitars which I have worked on do have thinner varnish coatings; recent guitars have thicker, and once again the dividing line seems to be early 1980s. My '81 320 had thin varnish on the fretboard, and some from '83 that I looked at, had a thicker varnish.

Recent Rickenbacker instruments have a buildup of varnish on both sides of the frets, so whenever I refinish one nowadays, I spray the fretboard twice; once by itself with the rest of the guitar masked off, suspended upside down, so the varnish settles on the upside of the frets, then, after a day's cure time, I remove the masking and lightly scuff the fretboard, tack cloth the entire guitar and give it its standard double wet coat of varnish, suspended from the headstock. This allows the varnish to settle on the downsides of the frets, giving the fretboard its characteristic "double meniscus" appearance. Then after several days' more cure an shrinkdown time, the frets are levelled.

BTW, my '83 ES-16 (Electro) has a thinner coat of varnish on the entire instrument, and apparently received no color-sanding of the clearcoat, nor did it seem to be hand-buffed. This makes sense, as this was a "student" line of instruments.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

You might be interested to know that since the beginning of July, the thickness has been cut back tremendously. It's now thinner than perhaps it's ever been. This coincides with the use of a new conversion varnish formula.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

John Hall and I discussed the new varnish last March, as he was just testing the new varnish for durability with regards to temperature extremes and moisture resistance. We reviewed the samples, which had passed with flying colors. The major advantage of the new varnish is that it has a much lower VOC than the old, and removes one roadblock to RIC increasing their annual production of instruments.

Notice I say "one roadblock". Rickenbacker will still not compromise quality in order to "get caught up" on orders, but at least the yearly cap on production has found relief, for now.

Great news!
― Kurt Vonnegut
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

The new formula also has just the slightest tint of yellow which warms up the colors, especially the Fireglo. It also smells quite nice!

It's tough too. During testing it went through three forced rapid heat-cool cycles, from 250 down to -10 degrees in 36 hours with no signs of degradation. The wood wasn't happy about it though!

The downside that were wrestling with right now is that it's very difficult to shoot in weather above 90 degrees, an obvious problem in So. California. Without great care, it can flash off too quickly, leaving micro-bubbles behind.

The material primarily swaps acetone for lacquer solvents. That makes it a much more friendly material not only for the environment but also the workers, but acetone can evaporate too quickly without care.
britye
Intermediate Member

Post by britye »

we called that solvent pop in the collision industry, nasty situation indeed

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”