Jet glow finish

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

anon

Jet glow finish

Post by anon »

Hi Mark, I have a problem that concerns the "jet glow" finish on my '90 330. I "loaned" ( don't do this guys ) this guitar to a very good friend over the weekend. I am the original owner & purcahsed it new. Okay, for the last 10 years I have not used "any" liquid guitar poish, I simply do not like mirror shiney finishes, from day one I have used the RIC polishing cloth which as you know does contain mild cleaner/wax, I buff out any "blems" with this cloth & it does a great job. Well my friend returned the guitar back to me & said "I even did you the favor of "polishing" it ! NO, he used M----- guitar polish ! How do I remove it without damaging the clear coat ? Please advise. Thanks !
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Don't worry about the Meguiars polish .
Iused the same for years .I liked several of them and they were sold in autobody shops .It said right on the container NO WAXES OR SILICONE

I do realize that John Hall has stated that they do contain silicone but ,I have not investigated that claim .I do know that Don Adamek is in contact with Meguiars and is seeking that information .
We/he will post that knowledge as soon as he receives it.

I am curious as to which products do have silicone if any of them do .And are they labled as such.

I would ask him which specific polish he used .That is the thing to know .Until then Leave it alone.
you can just wipe off silicone .And dont try to wash it off ,water won't help.

This is a real problem in polishes and not just limited to the guitar field.

One product to stay away from is 'Finger -ease'
This is nothing more than 100% silicone !!!!

It should be removed from all music stores .
Get it out of the case and off the list of things to buy for guitarists.It's a huge problem with me .
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Make that ...you CAN'T wipe off silicone .Even spell check missed that one
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
ralph

Post by ralph »

i have several guitars & i use slighty damp soft
cloth & flax soap to clean & dust my guitars
it doesn't seem to hurt finish & removes finger-
prints & other marks nicely
do u see a long term problem with this ??

thanks
F.P.

Post by F.P. »

Ralph, try the RIC "polishing cloth" on your guitars, a dry system, the cloth is impregnated with a mild abrasive cleaner and wax, the price is right too. I have been using them for a least ten yrs. I'll (swear) by them ! Good luck.
JETGLOW

Post by JETGLOW »

To Anonymos,
Mequires is labled paintable......so there will be no harm to the finish.....
If it will make you feel better, look at your friends bottle and see if it says PAINTABLE on the bottle. If it does not.....It is probably an old bottle.
You can always call the number on the mequires bottle and ask tham about it.

I belive your fine

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”