Finish crack???

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

lennonmegenon

Finish crack???

Post by lennonmegenon »

Hi there,
Im new to this forum so go easy.I recently bought a 2004 620 fireglow from rics'r'us in England.
It plays and sounds great however i found a small hair line crack halfway down the back of the neck.
I dont think its the wood as You can feel it with your nail,also it doesnt affect tuning etc.Could it be the lacquer,finish.
I cant really pick it up with a photo as its so faint just like the faintest hair.
I would like to Know some opinions as I live in Northern Ireland and there aint many Ricks over here.
Give us a wink and make me think of you!
325_fan

Post by 325_fan »

Welcome. Finish cracks are fairly common in Rics, and are basically caused by sharp temperature variations. I wouldn't worry about it unless the finish starts breaking off.
lennonmegenon

Post by lennonmegenon »

So it could'nt be the wood,it would move with the tension and tuning would be a nightmare??
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

If it's only a finish crack, and it's on the back of the neck, and you don't want to do a refin, dab some clear nail polish over it, and Let It Be.

A finish crack on the neck is no surprise--it's a foot and a half of long-grained hardwood that expands and contracts with each change in temperature and strings. It won't affect tuning in any noticeable way.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Welcome to the forum Karl! I didn't know that there was a difference between Butcher/Musician! Image
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Congratulations on the 620, Karl, and welcome to the forum. I've had my 620/6 for 10 days or so and I absolutely adore it!

I'm sure the crack in the finish is a very minor thing, but two suggestions: keep your eye on it and take heed of what's said here. There are plenty of forumites who know the score.

Northern Ireland, eh? My mother's birthplace - Belfast. I was over there in 2002 - magic place!!

Hope you continue to enjoy the 620 and your participation here.

Cheers......
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
lennonmegenon

Post by lennonmegenon »

Why the nail polish? will it fill it in?how do I apply it?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

It's a clear lacquer, and the brush is in the cap. It's somewhat flexible and will keep the bare wood in the crack from absorbing dirt and moisture.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
helterskelter

Post by helterskelter »

...that reminds me, Mike from rics r us still owes me £100 back after saying he would knock off £100 from the price for a slight scratch on a 4001C64. Paid full price and Im yet to see that £100....

Congrats on the 620 Karl and welcome to the forum Image I like your choice of colour too ;)
lennonmegenon

Post by lennonmegenon »

Could anybody Show a picture of a lacquer crack so I can compare?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Here's one I cribbed from FRETNOT's site:Image
― Kurt Vonnegut
tony_carey
Advanced Member

Post by tony_carey »

Karl, a very warm welcome to the forum.

Alan, I have bought 5 or 6 gtrs from Mike in the past & he is without any doubt a very honest & genuine chap who is passionate about Rickenbackers. I am certain that if you contact him, all will be sorted....he's a good bloke!
'Rickenbacker'...what a name! After all these years, it still thrills me.
lennonmegenon

Post by lennonmegenon »

Mine looks more like a thin Black hair and when you put pressure on the neck it opens a little.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Picture, Karl?

If it's black, it's already getting dirt and moisture into the crack.
― Kurt Vonnegut
lennonmegenon

Post by lennonmegenon »

Im having trouble getting a picture as its so faint It goes across the neck about 1 cm across at the back of the neck right on top of a nice knot in the wood grain.If it was the wood would it crack the lacquer too???

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”