Anybody using a Vox AC-30CC?

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Anybody using a Vox AC-30CC?

Post by sloop_john_b »

I got to play one very briefly in a music shop and the tone was incredible!

However, i've heard horror stories concerning quality control on these amps.

Does anyone here own one, and what are your opinions on it?
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Apparently there are some minor QC issues, John, and I'm told the first thing you should so is replace the output tubes. I think the issues relate to the reverb chamber, but I can't be sure because I read about it somewhere after I bought my CC1, with which I have no problems at all - it's a cracker!! It doesn't move, by the way, so there are no opportunities to knock it around. Sounds really great with a Janglebox and I love the overdrive!!

There may be some reviews on Harmony Central by now, so it may be worth checking it out.
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

The reverb issues weren't the only problems with them. Lots of QC issues with tolex lifting, stuff missing screws, just poor construction in general when compared to the UK amps. The new design is also worse than before from what I've heard, with molex connectors and cables to connect stuff like computers use...the flat grey ones. I've heard they do sound good, when they are working correctly. I prefer my '93 Korg reissue Made in UK in the Marshall factory AC30 myself, but if I was buying a new one, I would probably look into the Chinese made ones. Some of them have some pretty cool features that the UK ones didn't.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Greg, I have owned an AC-30 in the past, it was a '99, and I miss it very much. IN fact, its the only amp I ever sold that I really miss. So now i'm on the hunt for another.

I'm torn because I know the older ones will be more solid, however, they won't have reverb, the much-more varibale tremolo, master volume, boost, etc. They really packed these new ones with features.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Greg and John: The Vox AC-30 I have is right between both models of which you speak 1996. My amp is in great shape and I hope I never have to part with it.

John, I would no be swayed by new features, a power soaker or AMD Hotplate will do away with the need for a master volume and you can make do with a Fender stand alone reverb unit. My two cents. The only problem I have had with a nearly ten year amplifier is that I had to replace the rectifier tube and a fuse.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Peter, that's the way i'm beginning to think. I've got boost pedals I can use to drive the amp when I need to, and i've got pedals for reverb as well. Getting a Fender reverb unit isn't a bad idea either, as obviously, it's natural sounding.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

I don't really miss the reverb on mine, and if I do, I'll just build myself a Fender reverb unit.

Peter, I recently had to replace the rectifier and a fuse too on mine. Put in an old used OS Amperex GZ34 after trying some Weber Copper Caps. Its never sounded as smooth as with that rectifier tube in there! Whoever said rectifier tubes don't affect the sound of the amp was nuts.

I did have some trouble with badly ghost noting Celestion Blue speakers, but a light doping from Ted Weber at webervst fixed that. I still do have a little ghost noting in the amp when dimed, and I think it is some coupling caps getting leaky. So if mine is doing it now, yours will be in a couple years maybe Peter. I'm not worried though. When it gets bad enough I'll replace the coupling caps with ebtter quality and better sounding new ones like Sozos.

Until they change build methods and fix the QC issues, I would never consider a new AC30 for myself unless I had tons of extra money lying around. I'd buy a Korg reissue UK made one in a heatbeat though.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Congrats, Greg, on the most jargon-laden post I've never authored.

Could be published in the JAMA or maybe NEJM.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Hey, I aim to please Paul! Image
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

We all do. That's what makes this thing so much fun.

(SMILEY FACE DECLINED)
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”