4004c11 neck specs

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

anon

4004c11 neck specs

Post by anon »

just received my lefty 4004c11 with red stain
finish. this thing is remarkable! i set it up with 40-100 nickel rounds and set the neck clearance at 7th fret to.015 inch on both sides of neck with feeler gauge and staight edge. i set all my other rics up this way and the necks are fast and quiet,but the 4004
neck is not as fast plus the neck is wider. should i go below .015 the neck clearance or shoud i let the neck wear in a little? i am afraid to crank her a little the neck response to an ajustment is slow. what is your opinion?
thanks,
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

I would say go for it .These necks and the truss rod system can take it.

If you have calipers you might measure the thickness of the necks at the 1st fret and at the 12th fret to compare all your intruments .
I have a note book with that kind of info in it .The only thing that this doesn't give you, is the radius the sides are cut at .That usually is the key ingredient .
I use the strings as the straight edge .It's a lot easier to do than hold a straight edge on the fretboard .Also do this holding the bass NOT laying it on a table or some kind of support.Doing this will give you a faulty setup.
You will NOT have taken gravity into account doing it on the bench/table.
Using the bottom of the string is the way to go .I also use a capo if necessary to free up one hand and I capo at the 2nd fret in case the frets were not leveled properly (sometimes the first fret is taller than the rest of the frets,due to the leveler staying away from the nut so it won't pop loose).
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
anon

Post by anon »

thanks Mark, i will give it a shot!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”