Rickenbacher Electro B8 344

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

billy_mac

Rickenbacher Electro B8 344

Post by billy_mac »

I ran across a this gtr with original case in near mint condition. The owner received this gtr in 1944... any ideas on value or where I could get some info on this??
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Please post photos.
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

Bill,
Rickenbacher 8-string Bakelite lap steels became available in 1938. Rickenbacher ceased production in 1942 until after the war. If the owner obtained the guitar in 1944, the instrument obviously pre-dates 1942. In almost fifteen years of collecting I have only seen one or two prewar 8-string Model B's, so it is very rare, indeed. 7-string models are more common but still rare.
8-string steels became more popular after the war. If the owner is mistaken about the date of acquisition, it could be a postwar model. Pictures of the pickup and the logo on the headstock will probably tell the whole story.
billy_mac

Post by billy_mac »

Thanks for the info I will try to get pictures as it is a family members Rik...I guess the 8 in B8 means an eight string...I was just looking at it Sunday, and I cant remember if had 6 or 8 tuning keys... although that was the number....This gtr is really nice!
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

It's all in the details.
The main reason I monitor this board is to learn and keep current. If the instrument you have is a prewar model, It's historically important and deserves to be displayed on this page. If you want to sell it, I can send you to the right place.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”