Using The Standby Switch

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

admin
Site Admin

Using The Standby Switch

Post by admin »

Charlie: Does using the standby switch allow tubes to last longer and if so why? How long should the tubes remain on standby before switching on your amplifier.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
tony_carey
Advanced Member

Post by tony_carey »

Great question Peter...I would also like to know.
'Rickenbacker'...what a name! After all these years, it still thrills me.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

I'm not Charlie, but it depends on which amp you're talking about, because some amps, like the Silvertone Twin Twelve 1484 just tie the grids of the power tubes together so it isn't doing anything except shutting most of the sound off.

If you're talking about the typical Fender setup, then I believe that if you turn the amp power on with the standby engaged and let it sit that way for a couple minutes before putting it into operate mode, then it helps the tube life quite a bit. I'll let the real expert explain why though, as I'd just be guessing on a lot of it.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

It removes the high voltage from the tubes, but leaves on the heaters.
"The best things in life aren't things."
triode

Post by triode »

If you have a Fender or Marshall amp, and most other amps, the standby switch, cuts off the high voltage to the plates. It keeps the power transformer cooler and the tubes do not get as hot. It is only recommended that you use the standby switch during band breaks or rehearsal breaks. Do not leave the amp on all the time with the standby switch on. It will eventually strip the coating off the cathodes and ruin the tubes.

In general, just shut the amp off when you are not going to use it for several hours or days.
fenderslash

Post by fenderslash »

Another question to clarify the above post: It probably makes little difference, but in the long term for an often-gigged amp, which is better for the tubes during twenty minute band breaks... putting the amp in standby mode, or just leaving it fully switched on (with the guitar's volume down of course)?

Also, does it do any damage to tubes or circuit to unplug guitars and plug them in with the amp in standby mode?
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

It doesn't do any damage in any way to tubes or circuit to plug or unplug the guitar cord while the amp is in standby.

I would think that it is better to put the amp in standby during breaks like you mentioned, and that is what most people do at the jams I go to. However, I wouldn't think there would be a huge difference in leaving it on with the volume down either, if its only 20 minutes a couple times a night. I've read that a standby switch isn't really necessary with the type of tubes and voltages used in most guitar amps, and you'll see most older, low-powered amps don't even have a standby switch. I don't know if that is true or not though, because it is only one person's opinion.

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”