12-String Setup Advice

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ngwca

12-String Setup Advice

Post by ngwca »

I have a 360/12 and have seen the McGuinn video. He suggests tuning down to release tension on the neck. Does anyone know if this is necessary? I haven't tried it yet. Since this would make the strings looser, I guess, how does it affect playability? Sorry if these sound like dumb questions. Your opinions are appreciated.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nigel: Provided your 12-string is setup properly there is no reason to tune down from concert pitch. That is to say, you will not harm the instrument. A benefit is to be had by tuning down as far as playability is concerned. This really comes down to the type of strings you use and your playing style and preference. I personally see the merits of tuning down when using strings of higher tension such as Pyramids or other flat wounds. If you are using the RIC 12-string sets, keeping your instrumewnt at concert pitch results in a very comfortable feel. This is a very good question and we will hear how others feel about this I am sure.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

There are a couple of other reasons that Roger does not mention as to why this is done .

1-E flat works with an older voice (we all get lower voices with time) .

2-It is easier to lower the tuning half a step and play the same old fingerings rather than transpose them .

3- the G octave is the tightest tensioned string on the guitar , and lowering the pitch eases some of this tension and gives longer life to that string . This is some thing that Rusty Young did in POCO ...using the steel with several .009 strings and raising the pitch on thos strings , the guys got tired of the snapping of these strings . Poco recorded and played live in E flat . It was also easier to hit the 'high' harmony . George did not have to put a clamp on his head (or other body part).
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
grsnovi
Veteran RRF member

Post by grsnovi »

Interesting that you would mention Poco... I was looking at cd's yesterday and almost picked up one of the Poco compilations out there. I'd seen them numerous times AFTER both Messina and Furay left (and almost, but not quite on the reunion tour).

Rust apparently played a white Gibson 335-12 at some point as I saw one offered for sale at one of the Texas guitar shows years ago (of course, I never actually saw him play anything other than steel and a thing he called "the bear" at any live shows).

I keep both of my RIC 12's tuned to concert pitch (A440). I spent some time noodling on the 370 yesterday before breaking down and plugging it in... ;-)
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

The Rick 12 string (any model ) is made to be tuned to 'Concert Pitch' .

Using other tunings is fine ,and lots of fun... but lowering the pitch also requires that you move your bridge/saddles away from the neck . You will need about 1/16" more compensation than normal .
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
ngwca

Post by ngwca »

Excellent advice. Thanks Mark and Peter. I struggle with some bar chords with my 360/12 and thought I might be able to make it easier on myself by tuning down. I just need to keep practicing. Of course, it would be really easy with no strings at all, but the sound would be a little hollow probably!
lawnjockie

Post by lawnjockie »

All together now...."the sound, of silence"...
lawnjockie

Post by lawnjockie »

I've played with several 12 string players who did in fact tune down a half step...and use a capo on the first fret...the idea being (I suppose) to ease playing. I must mention that these were Taylor acoustics...which I find extremely easy to finger no matter what position you are playing in.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

My Rickenbacker 12's are tuned to concert, but I have a 1972 Martin D-12-20 I tune to E-flat--this guitar has no neck adjustment and I'm not fond of getting the neck reset anytime soon....Iguess I just feel better that its E-flat--a false sense of security??
corey

Post by corey »

It's all about the word "psychosomatic" here...

Baving faith in our own little "tricks and tips" is half the battle.

I'd say the other half would be not being too proud to ask Mark Arnquist.
pilant

Post by pilant »

Another thing to consider with tuning down, chords
having open strings will probably sound different
than you are used to; even taking into account the
tuning.

For instance, take a guitar tuned down a full step
and a fingered E chord is a D chord. Compare this
to a D chord on a guitar tuned to concert pitch
and there is quite a difference.

I've used this technique a couple of times to get
a much fuller sound... Mostly on 6 strings. I
probably don't need it with my 360/12 FG :-) :-)

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”