7.4 Highgains?

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

7.4 Highgains?

Post by loverickbass »

Has anyone ever unwound the highgains? What were highgains wound to in the late 60s/early 70s?

Cole
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Seems to me to be an oxymoronic pursuit.
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

You could call that 'new style toasters'
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Or "Lo Gains"...
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
beefandbones
Intermediate Member

Post by beefandbones »

Seems like I vaguely remember some people around the forum expressing a preference for the lower gain Hi-Gains of the 70s and early 80s...?

Anybody know what K Ohm those tend to register at? If someone were so inclined, could the gain on modern Hi-Gains be lowered?
BobKat
Advanced Member

Post by BobKat »

I love the high-gains of the late '70s and early '80s. Unbelievably, I have never measured one. They are the best Rickenbacker pickups of all.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

My old '73 4001 had a neck hi gain with a DC resistance of about 7.5k. The bridge was blown when I got it and I had TV Jones rewind it. He nailed the sound and volume, and it was wound to 8.5k. I'm sure they are all over the map though. I like the sound of them too.
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

The hi-gain in my 68 is the weakest pick up in all of my basses. Sounds very nasally and it's not the cap factor either.

I have not measured it, but I'd say it's around 6K at the most. It is NOT a good pick up.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Hmm... I remember this '1968 high-gain'. I also remember that it looked like any 'final version' high-gain pickup, very unlikely to exist in 1968 if you ask me, but I won't go into that again.
I just would like to say that the cause for its 'nasal' tone lies probably in a malfunction rather than poor design. Just my opinion. A high-gain pickup wound to 6.0 K and with no treble-pass capacitor in line therewith should have excellent output.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Wonder why RIC switched over to the higains? Seems like if something ain't broke don't fix it. Was the toaster tops "broke?" Mind you I don't want to start a higain bashing,just curious.

Cole
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The lowest high gain that I have measured has been 5.2 KOhms and it was from 1974.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

Ah, Sergio, what does it take for you to believe...

And, therefore, what is a late 68 hi-gain meant to look like?

This bass screams 100% originality. The original owner who sold it to me told me that he had never touched anything. When I asked about taking the TRC off to see the rods he didn't want to do...

I tend to believe him....

It has the same green bobbin with screw polepieces once described in a thread with someone who had a Jan 69 4001. Here it is a couple of months earlier from a well known Sept 68...
http://www.rickresource.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=43&post=165901#POST165901
That's no coincidence...

Having never taken the guard off, and I'd bet it's never been touched, I could not say for certain, but I am sure it does have the cap in place. The sound is the unmistakeable "capped".

And, like I've said before, having seen, held and played more 60's basses than most, I'd bet my house that it's completely 100% stock.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

A friend's '72 high gain treble pickup went south due to the magnet losing its flux density. It now sports a V63 horse shoe.
"The best things in life aren't things."
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

The neck higain on my '74 4001 measures 18.4K
Something's wrong here.
The bridge unit has 9k

But as john Hall already mentioned ; all Ohm meters and their leads ...
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Uh-oh! My mistake, Andrew. I thought we were talking about a 'button-top' high-gain. Indeed, a high-gain pickup with a green bobbin and screws for polepieces on a 1968 4001 is period correct. It is probably one of the earliest high-gains made. Sorry again.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”