Computer Interface

A round-table feedback exchange
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

M-Audio does make some good stuff, and Garageband is really cool too. The prices are nice. I'm at the point with my recording where only close to the best will do, so I'll be getting a MOTU 2408 Mk3 or a MOTU 24 I/O one of these days. I can use this with my screaming PC, and later on also with a MAC once I get one. I use Cool Edit 2 and Cubase SX also, but plan to use Digital Performer or Pro Tools once I get a Mac. The difference in cost is quite a bit, with the MOTU 24 I/O and Digital Performer being about $3000 total. Thats a lot to spend but I guess it depends on what you intend to do with your music. In my case, I need professional quality recordings intended for commercial release. If I was just recording for fun, then the cheaper M-Audio things would be great! The main difference isn't necessarily in the quality of sound as most stuff is 96khz nowadays, but the difference is in how many inputs and outputs you get and the quality of the D to A and A to D converters.
tony_carey
Advanced Member

Post by tony_carey »

The MOTU 24i/o is a superb piece of gear. Top quality sound & rediculously easy to use!
'Rickenbacker'...what a name! After all these years, it still thrills me.
shinynewtoy
Intermediate Member

Post by shinynewtoy »

I just got M-Powered with a 410 myself. Once I install the requisite RAM upgrade I'll be up and running... but my iLock is being sketchy. It loads, it doesn't. It's recognized... it's not. I hope it's just a driver issue. Either way, a full report or a cry for help is shortly coming!
What do you mean the Bass is too loud???
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Hey Anthony, thanks for the info on the 24 I/O! Nice to hear from someone who has used it. I know a guy with a 24I which was the predecessor to the 24 I/O and he says the A to D converters in the 24I are quieter...maybe because there are less in there? He just got a 24 I/O a couple months ago so he can make a valid comparison.
tony_carey
Advanced Member

Post by tony_carey »

Greg, I use a 24i/o in 2 studios that I work at & I can assure you that they are truly superb. I have never used the 24I, but the i/o version is pro spec & has no noise problem that I have ever come across....good gear!
'Rickenbacker'...what a name! After all these years, it still thrills me.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Thanks Anthony! I was seriously thinking of using the 24 i/o until I heard from my friend that the 24i was better, but since you can confirm it is used in pro studios with no problems, then I'll have to hunt one down. My PC can handle anything I throw at it with multiple raid SATA setups and lots of speed and memory. And since the 24 i/o works fine with MACs too, I think it is just the ticket. Now anyone want to lend me some cash? Image
squid

Post by squid »

Just giving this thread a little bump because I've finally purchased a Macbook (the basic MacBook Pro with a small memory upgrade: 1MB via 2 512's) and I'm now looking to purchase an interface. The M-Audio 410 has some very poor reviews scattered all over the internet. It seems ... quirky. Is there a better alternative out there? I'll be recording using Logic Express for the most part. Everything will have to be mic'd seeing as none of my amps have appropriate output jacks. Phantom power would be a requirement.

Thanks, gang ...
leesh
Advanced Member

Post by leesh »

I still use the 410. It was a pain to get up and running because there are some driver issues (i.e. immediately upon setup I had to go to M-Audio's website to get new versions of drivers to make it work). But I use it with a new intel iMac and it works great.
shinynewtoy
Intermediate Member

Post by shinynewtoy »

Oh the drivers are a joke. So were the iLok drivers that came with ProTools. But once I got everything to play nice, it's been great.
What do you mean the Bass is too loud???
leesh
Advanced Member

Post by leesh »

I'd also look into the Mackie Onyx series...a while back they included the free firewire plate so that you can go directly into mac/pc from the mixer.
squid

Post by squid »

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Focusrite Saffire line? I'm thinking that may be the unit for me, but I'd love to hear from someone who's owned or tried one.
trancedental

Post by trancedental »

A lot of these audio PC interfaces don't have great converters or are noisy & suffer from clock jitter.

I'd swear my Fostex E16 reel to reel sounds better than most mid priced stuff!

I'm thinking of getting my Digidesign OO2R a upgrade from this company?

http://www.blacklionaudio.com/

I think they mod MOTU & others as well?
Destroy DJ Rap & Synths / Robot Music!

Return to “Recordings By RRF Members”