Camper Van Beethoven

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ted_williams
Veteran RRF member

Camper Van Beethoven

Post by ted_williams »

I saw them the other night on their "reunion" tour, and the violinist also doubled on guitar, playing one I couldn't quite identify. The best way to describe it would be a deluxe 480 - same body but with binding and triangle inlays. Azureglo. Very cool looking.

While not quite Rickenbacker, David Lowery played a pair of Charvel Surfcasters, which look like a cross between a Ric and a Danelectro. Has anyone tried one of these out? I'm curious what you think of them.
chucksimms
Veteran RRF member

Post by chucksimms »

A guitar player I was in a band with had a Charvel Surfcaster. It was REALLY good. Played well, sounded great. I'd get one if it came my way...
'66 365 O.S. FG, '66 335 FG, '68 375 O.S., '66 330/12 MG, '69 365 O.S. azureglo, 2007 4001C64
shiraz
Veteran RRF member

Post by shiraz »

Morgan Fichter? That's her name, right? Interesting that she plays that guitar.
The CVB swan song album 'Key Lime Pie' is a modern masterpiece. Dave's work with Cracker has not always endeared itself to me (though it's been consistently good). Yes, I've seen his Charvel too.
Great band. I didn't know they were back together.
Cheers, Noel
dougp
Veteran RRF member

Post by dougp »

No, Morgan was only the replacement player for their final album. Jonathan Segal played violin, keyboards, *and* guitar on all their albums except 'Key Lime Pie'. They were one of my favorites back in the day, but their stuff hasn't aged so well (IMHO) so I didn't bother with the reunion. The band that rehearses across the hall from mine does a pretty good version of "Take The Skinheads Bowling", though!

Doug
My basses are Rickenbackers. My synthesizers and recording gear are analog.
ted_williams
Veteran RRF member

Post by ted_williams »

It was indeed Jonathan playing with the re-united band. I still enjoy their music, more so than the straight-ahead rock of Cracker. I especially enjoy their faux world music stuff. The show was a fun bit of nostalgia, having seen them many times back in the day.

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”