Upstate NY - September

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ozover50
RRF Consultant

Upstate NY - September

Post by ozover50 »

When I started the "Aitch's US Tour" thread it was suggested that an "upstate NY" confluence might be a possibility.

I'm keen to visit the area - possibly coming into the US via Toronto/Niagara Falls/Buffalo or direct into somewhere like Albany or New York itself.

I'm still trying to finalise my itinerary but the weekend of September 15/16/17 is free and I would love to catch up with some of the "locals". I know it's a long way out, but I need to 'lock a few things in' so I can make the airline bookings.

Any interested parties?

Aitch
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
shinynewtoy
Intermediate Member

Post by shinynewtoy »

Aitch...

I've been meaning to send you an email back today (damn Hotmail, found it in my junkbox..)

I'm all the way in... even if it's just the two of us!
What do you mean the Bass is too loud???
marc61

Post by marc61 »

I was hoping to do something in my area of Westchester. This way folks from Jersey and upstate can come.

The Midwest confluence had preference for the spring, but Sept would be terrific for a NY confluence.
" It's not where you are, it's who you're with.".
86kubicki
Advanced Member

Post by 86kubicki »

I'd definitely be into a upstate NY confluence!
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

I would love to go. I'd hopefully live in buffalo by then, but I dunno if I'd be allowed to go.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
2011/05 Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass
2005/11 Fender Standard Jazz Bass
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

I'm with Marc, a Westchester-area one would be nice. Buffalo area is a little far out for me, being in NYC.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

I will make some calls. My office is in a corporate park. A block away from me is a very nice hotel that is booked up during the week with business functions, but on weekends is dead and pricing much different..eg. Monday -Thursday room rates - $250 per night...Friday, Sat - $79 - so that's where we're looking at. It very accessible being only 10 minutes from the Tappan Zee bridge and 45 from JFK airport.Close to Connecticut also.

This'll happen...
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Looking foward to it, Marc.
incubus2432

Post by incubus2432 »

"Buffalo area is a little far out for me, being in NYC."

Load up the car with gas, some Goldfish crackers, a Ric or two and hit the road. Image

I love a good drive/ride so I'm in. Maybe I'll ship the Rics out and make it a motorcycle trip. Good times, good times......
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Buffalo to Westchester is just under 7 driving hours according to Mapquest. Jet Blue will also take you for $44 each way with enough advance notice.

As far as the instruments arriving early, you can ship them now and I'll hold onto them.Brian, your LK is safe here until September, and certainly longer..
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

It all sounds good to me, fellas. All I need to know at this stage is where I should be flying into. I'm keen not to drive..... happy to be driven, of course. Image

Nate: If there's any way I can 'sponsor' or 'chaperone' you for the weekend, I'll do it! Whether your parents of guardians would be happy about you travelling with an 'old Aussie fart' is another thing, of course!! It would be great if you could be part of it. Perhaps if I came in through Toronto and down to Buffalo, we could get a flight from there to NY together. That would give me a chance to see the Falls as well. You could then go back to Buffalo and I can head off toward Cleveland. As an alternative, I'm sure there would be a forumite or two who could look after you. I'm pretty sure they're all responsible adults!! Image
shinynewtoy
Intermediate Member

Post by shinynewtoy »

Of course! We'll get Nate lai... um... take good care of him!
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

That's what I was concerned about!!
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

ROFL! Thanks, but no thanks Bob. I'd rather wait for the right person. Sure, I've waited plenty, but another year or so won't kill me.

Aitch, that sounds wonderful. I'll probably be able to talk my Grandmother into it. I mean, it's only three days, and how often does this happen near where I live? Hopefully I can get the "Geddy" mods on my 4001 for the tribute to be done by the time the confluence comes around. I've already talked to her about showing you the falls and stuff and she seemed excited. I think this would be a nice break from the stresses of home life. Just to get out on my own and play a bunch of basses.

Sadly, my only Rick atm is just a standard bass.. nothing special. Hopefully I can get another one by the time this happen. I'm all excited now!
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
2011/05 Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass
2005/11 Fender Standard Jazz Bass
shinynewtoy
Intermediate Member

Post by shinynewtoy »

No worries Nate... you're thinking the right way. Some wait, some live by trial and error...

Don't worry about your bass just being standard!

A. NO Rick is just standard, and

B. Mine is too... but it IS the best sounding Rick bass on the planet!

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”