Amplifiers

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

ricnbacker
Veteran RRF member

Amplifiers

Post by ricnbacker »

what amps do you guys use with your RIC?

i am looking to get a bassman 200.

today someone told me they would give me their guild cabinet with 2 15 inch celestions....now i am thinking bassman 400

what do you think?
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

It's not just the speakers; the efficiency of the enclosure is critical to knowing how much power you will need. I'm not familiar with that cabinet.
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

I bought a brand new in the box Fender Bassman 400 about 2 years ago. It died on it's second gig. I play bass in a Beatles tribute band so it was not used with "everything on 12".
I had gotten tired of hauling(and repairing)my Vox Super Beatle. I took the Fender back and exchanged it for a Roland DB700. This amp is incredible and is now decked out in Vox grill cloth and nameplate, and looks as good as it sounds. I liked the Fender but was scared away when it ******* out so soon.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
ricnbacker
Veteran RRF member

Post by ricnbacker »

Nigel,

that is dissapointing news, did the shop you bought it from honor the warrenty?

or did fender? what was their explaination to you?
gpatt5762
Veteran RRF member

Post by gpatt5762 »

Primary: Selmer Treble-n-Bass 50 Mk. II, drivibg an Eden D-410T, whose tweeter was only fixed tonite; thru the guitar channel, piercing, almost obnoxious highs, kinda reminiscent of Vox AC-30 chime, all the while with adequate bass.

Bass Channel: thick, boomy, distorts kinda early, but true to valve rectified amps, it distorts only in increments. I really like this Selmer. With my RIC equipped with vintage reissue pickups, thru this amp. it gets "THE SOUND".

Garry
The ideal mix leaves the bass player louder than the rest of the band put together!
4003seagreen
Veteran RRF member

Post by 4003seagreen »

Play my RIC 4003 thru an Ampeg B-100R combo, gets a very nice sound that compliments the RIC excellently. Incredible, rich tones with the standard RIC bite, it really makes my RIC sound like piano wires. My band is not a loud band by normal standards, so the 100 watt combo is perfect for my needs.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

I have 2 ampeg b2r's ... 350 watts, effects loop, xlr line out, graphic eq ... warm tone ... I also have an ampeg b3 150 watt head similar to the b2r but less power ... I built 4 speaker cabs ... a 1x15, a 1x15 with a horn, a 2x10, and a 1x18 ... carvin and eminence speakers ...

I alos use a line 6 pod for tone shaping going into the amp ...

With this setup I can play a small party in a living room or a concert and everything in between ...
paul_yan
RRF Consultant

Post by paul_yan »

Same as Sea Green.
I love my B100R.
With its "ULTRA-LOW" button pressed (+7dB@40Hz), my 4003 sounds very rich---bite and bottom depth at the same time. I play with a pick and the grand piano sound is there.

I recently acquired an old Marshall JCM800 Super Bass 100W head that needs retubing and recapping. I'll post my impression of its sound after having the restoration done.

I read in an interview that Chris Squire used the Marshall Super Bass 100W for some time. Does anybody know during what years did he use it?
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I've used Gallien-Krueger bass heads for over 20 years. The GK 400RB is a clean, simple and very light transister amp without alot of extra knobs and switches to clutter things up. I've never needed more than 200 watts. Although I've never played "concerts", it's been more than enough for the clubs I've played in over the years. My speakers are an EVM 12L and an EVM 15L(ElectraVoice)in ported Thiele enclosures. The sound is very crisp and sounds great with roundwound strings and the Pyramid flats I've been using on my 3000 short-scale.
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

Paul,
He's using it on the "Star Licks" instructional video. There's a pretty good shot of it, maybe you can check the settings.

Christopher,
I bought the Fender at Mars(RIP), who had a 30-day return policy, I'd only had it about a week. When I bought it I had a hard time deciding between it and the Roland, so when I returned it I had them swap it for the Roland.
I also play in an original-music band. For it I use an Ampeg BA115, or an Ampeg B100R. These are both great amps. I ALWAYS use the SansAmp Bass Driver.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

thanks for the info on your equipment, sounds like 200 watts and 1-15 combo amp would be plenty for my needs at this time. i have to try the ampeg again, the one i tried i wasnt thrilled with.
maybe because i didnt have my ric with me when i tried it.
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

so i see there is an ampeg BA 115 and a B100R.both are 1x15 and 100 watts

whats the difference?
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Christopher,
The BA115 has a piezo tweeter along with its 15" speaker. Sounds modern.
The B100R has no tweeter. Sounds retro.
They look dofferent too.

Nigel, thank you. I'll check it out.
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

Here's a question regarding cabinets:

I have this 70's V-4B head that I bought by itself on eBay. Because of its width, none of my present cabs match visually, nor for that matter wattage-wise.

What would be some good cabinet ideas to look at?

Thanks,
Garry
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

A friend used a 70s V-4B with a 4x12 Ampeg cab from the same period. It worked well enough for what it was but even with a 4x12 it just couldn't deliver enough in a loud two-guitar rock band. He then got an old SVT and 8x10, and the V-4B/4x12 became the practice space amp.

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”