Tube amp... and headphones?

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

kstafford

Tube amp... and headphones?

Post by kstafford »

Hey all,

Just got my 1st Rick (actually my first electric guitar)... I've been a bass player for 17 years. I picked up a 360 six string in burgundy and I love it. My main question is about finding a nice tube amp that I can use in my little apartment. I like the sound of the vintage Vox and Fender amps. I also like to think I'm a nice neighbor-- I only play my upright bass out on the balcony when the neighbors aren't around. Is there a good all-tube amp out there that can be played with headphones? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Kevin
sir_andrew_of_left_coast
Veteran RRF member

Post by sir_andrew_of_left_coast »

A few years back, I tried to accomplish this same task by purchasing a Crate Vintage Club 20 amp. It's somewhat VOX sounding and has a headphone jack. But when using headphones, you couldn't turn the volume past 2 without going deaf.

I think a better option would be the AD60VT VOX Valvetronix combo. It has a power control feature which enables you to reduce the output to just 1 watt; which should keep your neighbors happy. And you can select between VOX and Fender tones.
Member #03
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Kevin: Andrew's idea is a good one, however, I think you can get some great mileage from a THD Hotplate. This is a power attenuater or power soaker that is placed between your amplifier output and speaker. You can enjoy the tone of your amplifier at a volume that won't disturb others and you don't have to wear headphones, so you can hear when your family is trying to reach you! I use this with a Vox AC-30 and it works very well and is safe for your amplifier. All the tone you want without the noise.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Peter said "so you can hear when your family is trying to reach you!"

Now, I thought that the reason WHY I was playing was so I COULDN'T hear them . . .

Along the same line, I have to mention that my neighbor at my beach house is Richie Sambora (and Heather Locklear!)-he often cranks up pretty loud to play on the weekends. People stand around down in front on the beach to listen. He doesn't seem to mind if everyone hears his muffs!
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

I second the THD Hotplate. Don't own one, but I did have one on loan for a project last year. Definitely works as advertised.
360dave660
Veteran RRF member

Post by 360dave660 »

I use a tech-21 analogue simulator amp. There is a ton of versatility in choices, direct recording and a head phone jack. I am an exclusive apartment woodshedder (late night when the mrs & the kids are asleep)and after two years, I really think that the trade-mark 10 was the best choice.

They're also made in 60 watt & 120 watt versions.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

John: Well your hypothesis may have a familiar ring to it. Here is a photo of your neighbor with a familiar instrument.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

A question: For those who own or know of the THD Hotplate, can you use it in conjunction with a combo amp, say a Fender Deluxe or a Hot-Rod Deville?? Our LOUD, LOUD, LOUD guitar player needs one of these...Please help. Thanks, John's ears...(No, Really---he IS interested in one for home use to play quietly at home)anyone know??
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Left: Yes. As long as you select the THD Hotplate to match the ohm rating of the amplifier there should be no problem. Customer service at THD is good and will respond to your questions almost right away.

joe_hardman

Post by joe_hardman »

"Along the same line, I have to mention that my neighbor at my beach house is Richie Sambora (and Heather Locklear!)-he often cranks up pretty loud to play on the weekends. People stand around down in front on the beach to listen. He doesn't seem to mind if everyone hears his muffs!"

If Richie played Riffenbackers, instead of Fenders and Gibsons, he might not make as many "muffs". Right?

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”