Refinishing a 1967 Model 325

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Kickenedgar

Refinishing a 1967 Model 325

Post by Kickenedgar »

Mark,
Your name came up when I was talking to some people over on VOXTALKS. I recently acquired a 1967 325 from a friend of mine that came upon hard times financially. I got a good deal on it, so I'm willing to put some money into it to make it look right. He bought it from Pittsburgh Guitars back in 1983 and it had been refinished by someone who obviously didn't know what they were doing. The "jetglo" finish has streaks in it that are starting to crack and peel off. I feel that the damage has already been done by whomever did this, so I'm looking to get it stripped and refinished in a true nitrocellulose jetglo. I would never dream of refinishing this had it not been done previously. Do you know where I could have this done for a reasonable price?
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

You will have to ask around .You might try looking in a copy /issue of Vintage Guitar Magazine /newspaper .

The problem of refinishing instruments is becoming tougher and tougher as time marches on.
Materials and the cost of licensing and passing the firedept and EPA and insurance inspections .You must weight the value of even getting into this .

I have always taken the acronym of F.E.W.
(which I borrowed from a military poster )and applied it to the guitar industry.
FEW stands for ;

Finishing and/or frets
electronics
Woodworking

It takes a FEW good men.

Thats the basis for all guitars repair/building and you must excell in all 3 of those areas
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”