Value of 360/6 Silver

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

lawnjockie

Value of 360/6 Silver

Post by lawnjockie »

Would like to know if anyone could give me a fair price on a Ric 360/6 Silver(glo). This one seems to be a bit of an oddity in that the serial number is E28771 (May 1989). In my search I've discovered that Silver was discontinued in or about 1984. This particular guitar has white pickguards, headstock logo, and binding. My search reveals that most of the Silvers had the black option. The guitar comes with it's original black tolex/blue interior case. It is still new, (without shipping box), with original strings on it.

My knowledge is limited, as is my research capability on this. The above represents only what I've been told by others and may or may not be correct information. Hopefully someone here can help me make up my mind to buy this thing or not. Anyone needing pictures to help them email me at lawnjockie@yahoo.com and I will provide what I have. Thanks to all...again.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Lawnjockie: There were silvers made in 1988 and 1989 so your instrument, while unique is not a rarity. To my knowledge you are indeed correct in saying that the "Silvers" had the black trim option.

I would like John Williams to comment on the value of this instrument. I can offer that I have seen silver sixes going in the $800 to $1000 US range. To be fair, while unique these instruments are not a hot item for collectors. Different but not all that appealing. I feel I can say that with objectivity as I acquired a silver 1988 Model 4003 a couple of years ago. I really enjoy it but it is not the type of finish that sweeps one away. Many of the silvers will take on a "greenish" tinge as the clear coat yellows.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
lawnjockie

Post by lawnjockie »

Peter: Thanks so much for your input. Everything I had access to pointed to Silver being offered only from 1981 thru 1984. I now know this not to be true.

The price that this piece is being offered for by a private individual (collector) is substantially more than the $1,000 USD you point out. I feel that this is due to the fact that the guitar has never been played at all, and still retains it's original strings. I have learned since my original post it's origin of purchase however...and that is Rudy's in NYC.

An astonishing tid-bit of information Peter about the Silver finish "greening". I would have never imagined that on a Ric. I have two Les Paul Goldtops (1952 & 1956) that both look more "green" than gold. It is, to say the least, not a very flattering finish in it's current state.

I will certainly proceed with caution before sinking my hooks into this one. I truly appreciate your input and look forward to John's remarks.
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

I think that I've seen this one for sale in the past. The price stopped me in my tracks though. You just have to pay what you'd feel comfortable paying. Know that you might not be able to sell it yourself for that price. I might pay as much as $1500. for it but thats just me. I like the rare RICs......
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

On Mike Parks' Collectables page:

http://www.the-music-connection.com/riccol.htm

is posted a 1986 330 Silver that sold for $1295; it had a few dings and a non-original-but-RIC SKB case. Also posted on the same page, but without the price, is a sold 1988 360 Silver. If you e-mail Mike, he might be able to tell you what the selling price was (if he remembers).

I recently bought a 1989 320 Silver, with the original case and in excellent condition, from a local guitar shop for under $1000, including the 7.5% local sales tax. Fortunately for me, the finish is still mainly silver, with just a hint of green here and there.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
lawnjockie

Post by lawnjockie »

John: Thanks for your direction on this. You probably have seen this one before as it's been on the market for about 18 months now. I strongly feel I could buy it for between $1200 and $1300. I know with confidence that I couldn't sell it for that, but it might be nice to just put "under the bed" for later.

This entire color "fetish" I have has got to stop. Sea Green, Blue Boy, Silver, where does it end, or does it ever?
corey

Post by corey »

Scott: I think I am making my way through the "regular" Ric colours as I expand my collection. MG, FG and JG to start...but Midnight Blue and the plain walnut body are also on my mind for the future.

All of us Ric-0-philes express our obsession in many different ways.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Here is a nice photo of a Rickenbacker Model 610 in silver.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is a closer look at the silver finish on a number of Rickenbacker models here.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Lawnjockie: Thanks for a photo of the May 1989 Model 360 Silver discussed above. I have to say I like it and the white guard and nameplate go well with it.

corey

Post by corey »

Wow. Great pictures. With the white guard and chrome hardware, it reminds me of the desert gold finish from 2001. Very sharp.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”