Famous Performances

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

admin
Site Admin

Famous Performances

Post by admin »

Can there be any more famous performance than that of The Beatles' first time on Ed Sullivan. The classic Beatles suits, a fresh new sound and the Jetglo Model 325 Rickenbacker played by Lennon changed the rock music world forever. There have been many other famous concerts, but did any leave their mark like this one?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
mikeobrien58

Post by mikeobrien58 »

Hmm...here's an interesting question...since John had his natural-finish 325 refinished black, can you really call it "JetGlo"? Wouldn't "JetGlo" imply a RIC factory finish? I know, super-nit-picking here, don't mind me...

To me the other great Rickenbacker milestone is George Harrison's 12-string throughout the movie Hard Day's Night.

Less epoch-making, but still memorable for me, is Steve Howe's use of Ric 6 and 12-strings with Yes in the 1970s and 1980s. Fun to see such a supposedly "retro" instrument being used to make such "progressive" music. I remember going to see Yes with a guitarist friend and Gibson snob, who was stunned to see Howe playing Rics and Telecasters for the entire evening. If memory serves, Howe played "Close to the Edge" on a Ric 6-string, including the fiery long opening solo.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Harrison's A Hard Day's Night performances with the 360/12OS Fireglo have got to be the reason why so many other musicians took up the Rickenbacker 12 string. Certainly Roger McGuinn among others has mentioned the importance of this moment for them in their careers and recent a note from Mike Pender of The Searchers also underscores the magic of Harrison's performance for him.

You are not "nit-picking" at all with regard to the Lennon finish. It should more properly be referred to as black. I concur with your view that "Jetglo" should be reserved for the factory finish.

Finally, yes "Yes" certainly helped to introduce Rickenbackers to many as you have noted. Perhaps the most striking example was Chris Squire who continues to wave the Rickenbacker banner with each show. Below see a photo of his Chicago 2000 concert. Would the photographer please step forward so that credit may be given.

Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Steve_B.

Post by Steve_B. »

Sorry to jump in so late---what of "Magical Mystery Tour" and Paul's Ric bass--for many of us, that was our first view of such a unique shape (and sound).

Post by 6025 »

Although technically not a performance, how about Pete Townshend on the "Maximum R&B" poster, where he's doing his famous windmill strum with the Rickenbacker guitar? That was my first experience seeing a Rickenbacker as a kid.
Oruga65

Post by Oruga65 »

I'm agree with 6025, that poster was my first and greatest influence about Rickys.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Or for that matter, how about the worldwide-TV performance of "All You Need is Love"? Seems that Macca had his 4001 on display that one eh??
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

...what about Macca and the 4001S in "Hello, Goodbye"? And of course George's 425 (which also cannot be called jetglo)on Ready, Steady, Go!

Happy New Year you RIC freaks! (I mean that affectionately)
LET THE WORLD KNOW YOU WANT PAUL TO BRING BACK THE 4001. JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP!! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=147641915268984
ricnvolved

Post by ricnvolved »

Pete Townshend's "Maximum R&B" poster is the best non-Beatles "advertisement" for Rickenbacker that I can think of.

(Probably not difficult to tell that I'm a HUGE Pete Townshend fan.:-))

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”