Correct Strings for my RIC

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Walker

Correct Strings for my RIC

Post by Walker »

I have a 75 4001 bass. I know the bass line was changed to 4003 so that you could put "roundwound" strings on it. Question. I already use roundwounds on my 4001. Am I hurting the neck? I just sold a 66 Fender because of the neck warpage problem and DO NOT want to get rid of this (my favorite) RIC!
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

I'm sure that this will be different than an official answer.

The original rod system was designed for strings that were common place in the 1950's .The bass strings of that time were not a standardized item.

Most of the makers of strings made piano strings or upright bass strings that were of this length.

If you have ever felt /played an upright bass ,you will notice the light tension of these strings .Most of the tension is created by the outer wrap ,not the core.

On a piano style string the reverse is true.

John Entwhistle of the band "THE WHO" is generally heald responsible for the instigation of this round wound type of string .

If done correctly (and some rods need to have the aluminum bar changed to do this) this type of string will work just fine .

The necks of Fender Jazz basses are so thin ,and the tensions so great ,if the grain of the wood is NOT in your favor ,these necks can lose the ability to be adjust dead straight.
On a neck that is problematic.
I overtension the neck without the strings on it first .This presets the tension level and helps a great deal .This is for any brand of bass.

On older 4001 type basses ,I make a new aluminum or brass block out of 1/4" material.This helps to keep the ends of the rods from curling under as you tighten them.
With a little patience and time ...almost any older style bass can be made to work with "Rotosound"style strings.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
walker

Post by walker »

Thanks! What do you generally charge to do this conversion, before problems start?

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”