Crankin' the Twelve

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

profjeff

Crankin' the Twelve

Post by profjeff »

Just wondering if anyone out there plays a 330/12 or a 360/12 through a cranked high gain valve amp--like a Marshall stack, a Soldano or a Mesa. How's the tone? Along the same vein, have any of you heard recordings that feature such a setup?
--if you answered no to the above--
Are any of you are using a medium gain amp with some OD pedals? What's your setup? What kind of songs do you play? Let me know what works.

I saw The Edge playing his 360/12 through a couple of cranked AC-30's on the song "Gone" on the Elevation Tour DVD. Amazing. The only thing is, at the end of the song, he slams the Jetglo beauty down and kicks it across the stage. Ouch! It makes some cool noises, though, as it's being abused.

Rick pics and sound clips:
http://home.attbi.com/~drjeffreyb
ted_williams
Veteran RRF member

Post by ted_williams »

My 620-12 w/ hi-gains sounds great with heavy distortion. A good full tone with notes ringing out distinctly. I switched to the 620-12 from a 360-12 (also w/ hi-gains) because the hollow body tended to feed back too much. Now I get feedback only when I want it.
racket
Veteran RRF member

Post by racket »

I have a 620/12 that I play “cranked”. I play through a Sunn Sentura, which is 60W tube head from the late 60s. I also use an Ibanez tube screamer, with the drive turned up about half way. The tone is great, a very full sound with a hint of the jangle coming through.

BTW, I also play my 330 through the same setup, with a little more overdrive, and have no problems with unwanted feedback (plenty of wanted feedback)
dougp
Veteran RRF member

Post by dougp »

I've attempted to play a 360/12 through a Mesa/Boogie DC-5, but the only way I could get it to sound less-than-horrid was to roll off *all* the treble, so that you couldn't tell that the guitar was a 12-string.
My basses are Rickenbackers. My synthesizers and recording gear are analog.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”