Being patient

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

pcollin
Veteran RRF member

Being patient

Post by pcollin »

I am supposed to become a new Ric owner... I ordered a 330/12 Fireglo on January, 2nd. I have the feeling that when you order your guitar you actually order its production. However, I find the time so long that I would like to know from your experience, how many weeks (months ?)is the mean delay.
I will add to it the time required to travel over the sea and reach France...
I feel like a kid in front of his Christmas Tree, waiting for his toy...
Thank you for your comments.

Pascal
shiraz
Veteran RRF member

Post by shiraz »

I waited nine months for my first Ric (360V64/JG).
It was torture. I had dreams about it!
All the rest have arrived much faster. The average seems to be around three months now. At least it was with my other 4 Rickies.
Now I'm dying for a Ric maple jumbo acoustic (Fireglo or Montezuma Brown?!). I imagine a slightly longer wait for the acoustic.
Best wishes. Cheers, Noel
corey

Post by corey »

Pascal,

When I ordered my 360/12 FG last year, it arrived at my house on the 38th day after I placed my order. The serial number indicates that this guitar was completed around the exact day I placed my order.

I'm currently a little over 3 months into my wait for my 381v69, but I expect a fair wait on this guitar, so it's not a cause for too much anxiety.

Just remember, your guitar could arrive tomorrow...or even todayImage
fendertweed2

Post by fendertweed2 »

Ordered 660/12 Dec. 2, 2002, received Jan. 29, 2003.

As my dealer explained, you will generally wait longer, but one never knows whether, for ex., the guitar that you ordered was on another dealer's order list and that dealer is put on a credit hold, or for some other reason doesn't get that guitar, so it's then available for you.

And as John Hall explained in a thread recently, it could also mean that you ordered a guitar that the dealer had coming in its order queue anyway, so the wait could be less. Mr. Hall also explained that IIRC, the build date is assigned when the wood is pulled for the guitar, allowing some leeway for construction time to approximate the date when it might be completed.

There are a number of variables, to it seems it's hard to be too exact about the process. But in my case, the 660/12 was worth waiting for (even if the wait was luckily shorter than expected).

Best,
Jon
I'm a musician with a great day job
mortivan

Post by mortivan »

In 1994, I waited about 4 months from order for my 4003.

Not too long, but still torturous!!

It was worth waiting for!
philipnz

Post by philipnz »

I ordered my 380lpz in January but Mike Parks had preordered it in September. He also has orders for them outstanding from May and in another forum there was a guy that cancelled out after ordering in March last year. I'm hoping that the next batch of 380lpz's will fill all current orders but it would appear they havent made any for a year at least.
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

In 1998, it was five and half months between ordering and receiving my left-handed Mapleglo 360. I could have gotten it a couple of weeks earlier, if the dealer had not misplaced my new phone number.

It's been right about a year since I ordered a left-handed Fireglo 730L and I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival. Hope it's sooner than later.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
pcollin
Veteran RRF member

Post by pcollin »

Thank you all for sharing with me your experience. I realize that it's worth waiting for such beautiful guitars. I just still need to be a little bit more patient and one day, soon maybe...the good surprise will come.
Kind regards.

Pascal
wormdiet
Intermediate Member

Post by wormdiet »

Maybe I should pre-order one now so that by the time I can actually afford it it will arrive? hrrm. . . . (watch the wheels spinning in my head.)
"The only worthwhile conquests are those wrested from ignorance"
-Napoleon
grsnovi
Veteran RRF member

Post by grsnovi »

"...the waiting is the hardest part..."

Or so I've heard (from some other RIC playin' guy).

I never ordered a RIC - I picked both of mine up off the rack however,

I am currently waiting for a Montana Custom Shop Gibson SJ200 Elite.

The waiting is excruciating...
dougp
Veteran RRF member

Post by dougp »

4004LK ... 25 months and counting ...

(Hey, all the anticipation will make me appreciate it all the more when it finally arrives!)

Do I win?
My basses are Rickenbackers. My synthesizers and recording gear are analog.
ricnvolved

Post by ricnvolved »

In very early November of 1992 I ordered my 4003 MapleGlo from what was then Atlanta Rhythm City (now Guitar Center Atlanta). It was delivered on January 13th, 1993. I was told that delivery time would be about 3 months; I was fortunate and got it a little over 2 weeks ahead of schedule. The waiting period actually wasn't very tough at all because I KNEW the wait would be worth it. And it was.
corey

Post by corey »

I think Doug wins.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”