Ric jackplug repair

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Bob

Ric jackplug repair

Post by Bob »

Hi Mark,
I'm thinking of purchasing a used Ric 360. This one is equipped with the Ric-O-Sound option.
The problem is with the standard (not stereo) jack input. The jack just falls out. The store (Guitar Center -eek!) said their guy would replace the jack at no charge.
My question is this:
Is there a certain type replacement jack they should use here? I'm sure they'll use the cheapest piece available if I leave it to them. I'd rather buy the correct part myself and have someone else (or me)do it than have a cheapo part installed in a quality Ric.
The stereo jack is nice and tight. I'd never use that anyway so maybe just switch the two?
By the way, it's an early 80's Ric.
Thanks Mark
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Well to my knowledge ,there are two ways that the factory has configured the dual jack set up .

One has the standard 1/4" mono jack that has an extra 'fin' on it to connect the 2 'hots' from the stereo jack and that gives you 'mono'.
the other jack would then be the typical Switchcraft stereo jack .

The other assemble is a dual mono set up ,I'm not sure if this is for use with 2 cords to give you 'Stereo' or what as this was never played with by me .

I have asked everyone if they plan to hook up Stereo ever ....more often than not the answer is ..."Well I might try it once just to see what it does sound like ,but non of my other guitars have this so it seems like a hassle in the long run."
So for those customers I have done this .

I install 2 standard 1/4" mono Switchcraft brand jacks .These are standard equipment in all USA made guitars .They are top notch quality.

I then install the infamous .0047 cap on the hot lug of the "Rick-O-Sound jack,hook up a length of wire to it and runnthat over to the other 'hot' lug on the Standard jack.Connect a wire from the ground on both jacks and lastly run a piece of shielded cable from the Standard jack to the controls .

What this gives is this ;

Standard jack -modern full sound
Rick-O-Sound jack the classic crisp sound on both pickups .
You get the best of both worlds.

And to remember which jack is which ...just think of the tone and the era and the name that is screened will clue you in.

If you want just buy a Switchcraft jack set ...and if you can solder do it your self .This is toooooooo easy .
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
terry
Veteran RRF member

Post by terry »

Mark the MD wrote:
The other assembly is a dual mono set up; I'm not sure if this is for use with 2 cords to give you 'Stereo' or what as this was never played with by me.

Click here for Rickenbacker's dual "parallel mono" output jack wiring schematic.

Click here for Rickenbacker's dual "Rick-O-Sound" (stereo) output jack wiring schematic.

Pretty self-explanatory. Hope this helps.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”