Pyramid string gauge change question

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

glenn
Veteran RRF member

Pyramid string gauge change question

Post by glenn »

Hi, I have a 350V63 that currently has Pyramid 11's installed. The guitar was set up with the 11's. Beside the normal neck and intonation issues, will anything have to be done with the nut if I were to switch to 10's? I have never used 10's on this guitar, but am considering trying it. I have the same concern or question regarding a 360CW. It has Pyramid 10's and if I ever went to Pyramid 11's, would the nut have to be cut or altered? Thank you, and Happy Holidays to all of you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Glenn: I think you can get by using the same nut with 10s. If you were going from 10s to 11s you would have a problem but I think you will be alright. You really have nothing to lose in giving it a try. Mark?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

When I cut a nut for someone this is the sizes I cut for each slot;
high E-.015
B-.018
G .022
D .034
A- .046
Low E .056

You can see that ALL the standard string sets will fit into these slots.

However there are some brands of guitars (fender in particular) who cut there nuts so that a .046 will have a 50/50 chance of breaking the nut .I don't know why ....but I got tired of fixing their nuts due to this one.
I don't know what JH has the laser boys cut his slots at .But you should not have any problems.

When I slot a nut ,I use a round edged file to finish off the slot .This way ,no matter what size you use ,it will always sit in the bottom ,unlike using a 'V' file .

The 'V' file is famous for causing the pinging and jumping of strings through the slots.

A tip...go to an office supply outlet and get a mechanical pencil.Get some of the softest leads you can and use this to 'lube' your nut slots .
The lead is really graphite and is smaller than you can sharpen a pencil .Plus ,you can leave it in your guitar tool box along with your peg winder ,wire cutters and your collection of capos ,picks and other assorted things .
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
glenn
Veteran RRF member

Post by glenn »

Thanks, I jotted these down, and will take them to the guitar tech that works on mine. I will compare what he commonly uses. I also appreciate the pencil tip, and will start using that now. I appreciate your help, take care.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”