Macca's Yamaha Bass

The history and music of the Fab Four
Marco

Macca's Yamaha Bass

Post by Marco »

Here is a photo of Paul McCartney's Yamaha BB1000S Bass and a couple photos of my Yamaha Bass as well.
Agnes

Post by Agnes »

Does anybody do have some more information on this Model?
tom

Post by tom »

didnt he use that bass on Back to the egg?
agnes

Post by agnes »

Yes I thought he used it in the79/80 period.
Bach to the egg and also live performances.
I did see it in the Take it Away clip and that's the last of it...
Wonder if he still uses it...
I think it's a great guitar!
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

I believe Paul went back to his Rickenbacker 4001S after the Tug of War and Pipes of Peace sessions. In 1983/84 when he began work on his film Give My Regards to Broadstreet, he was, again, using his RIC. He used his Ric during his 1987 live performances in Europe to promote All the Best. It was after this period that he went back to his Hofner and the WAL 5 string for Flowers in the Dirt and the World Tour
LET THE WORLD KNOW YOU WANT PAUL TO BRING BACK THE 4001. JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP!! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=147641915268984
Mark_Harrison

Post by Mark_Harrison »

I think you will find that this bass is a Yamaha BB1200 with just one split pickup. You are right about the "Back to the Egg" use. He also used it live when he did the "Concerts for Kampuchea".If you ever get a copy of "MUSICIAN" player & listener No.26 from Aug. 1980, Paul talks about the Yamaha bass and how he started playing it only because it was given to him for free. There was also a Record(LP)put out in 1980 called "The McCartney Interview" which is the full version of this conversation! I have some old "ClubSandwich" issues with lots of pictures of the Yamaha B1200.
Rob_Ashford

Post by Rob_Ashford »

For me though, Paul McCartney will only ever be associated with Hofner and Rickenbacker. All these other basses look like Fenders. Rob Ashford.

Return to “Beatles' Forum”