Old style black rick case, broken latches

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

johnashfield
Veteran RRF member

Old style black rick case, broken latches

Post by johnashfield »

I have a black old style case from the mid 90's. The two outside latches for it have broken. Is there a way to buy new latches?

I really hate the new molded cases. I hate how the pockets for the strap and strings have no lids, so when you open the case, everything falls out.
bluedave

Post by bluedave »

When you open your case upside down, does the guitar fall out, too?
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

I suggest you take your case to a luggage repair shop. Most will be able to fit new latches for a very reasonable price.
johnashfield
Veteran RRF member

Post by johnashfield »

Haha, very funny!

Let me clarify...

When I lean the case against a wall at a club, with the newer style cases that don't have the lid, or flap over the storage area, the extra strings and whatnot come out. Yes, often I lay the case flat and take it out, but in a crowded bar sometimes that is not the best thing to do!

In any event, the guitar case with the 2 outside latches that are broken, is still in fine shape. I am hoping I can fix the latches rather than buy a new case.

So, is there a place where I can buy the same latches?
johnashfield
Veteran RRF member

Post by johnashfield »

I hadn't thought of trying out a luggage repair shop. That's a great idea!

Thanks...
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Seee if you can contact the company that made the case[Rick should be able to tell you that?] and ask if they would sell you the latches. It's worth a try?? I think Stewart McDonald[www.stewmac.com] might have them
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

These are very common latches, made by Chaney in England. Any luggage repair shop has these in stock.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

My used 381JK came with a much-abused case (that was further abused by the USPS, but that's another story), and the left and right latches were absoutely non-functional. I took it to a luggage repair shop and they put two new ones on that work fine (I can't remember how much it cost, but I felt it was reasonable at the time).

I had a link to a luggage/case hardware supplier in Ohio - aha, I found it:

http://www.ohiotravelbag.com/

I think I had trouble with their e-mail (that's why I went to a local repair shop), but you can try calling them; check out the Locks, Catches, and Drawbolts page under products. It looks like they have a little bit of everything.

One way to keep the 'case goodies' from shifting position and then falling out is to put them in an over-size Ziploc or similar bag (e.g., one of the bigger ones). It will need to be folded up to fit in the space (and you may need to use a rubber band to keep it from unfolding), but folding it up makes it stay in place by making it too big to slip through the space between the closed top and bottom of the case. I've used this trick with regular cases, too, to keep the keys and wrench/wrenches from moving around inside the case (and possibly damaging the guitar).
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”