Oh that early 70's Rickenbacker bass sound !

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

bassman_bob

Oh that early 70's Rickenbacker bass sound !

Post by bassman_bob »

I am a devotee of Chris Squire from Yes and Jon Camp from Renaissance. I own a 1973 transition 4001 and a stock 1979 4001. What amp/ speaker com-
bination will give me the tonal range these two players achieved ? I currently use a GK800RB thru a 15" SWR bottom and two Hartke 10" on top. The 1973 gets me close but just not right.
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

I'm not the Squire buff ,I love his playing and love YES ,but that piece of info escapes me .

For some reason though ,I seem to recall his using either 2 Marshall bass rigs or 2 Fender Showman amps .

I saw Yes 3 times in the early 1970's ,and was more interested in the whole thing .What a wash of sound they were .I'm still in awe of them in that time frame.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bassman Bob: Check out the Chris Squire Site for the details with regard to his eqipment. Then go to your bank to take out a second mortgage. Enjoy.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Mark,
I have an old (1973) interview he did with Guitar Player in which he claims to have used Fender Showmans and later Marshall bass amps of some type. When I have a chance to dig it up I will post more info. Happy Holidays everyone!!!
"This is the big one, Elizabeth, I'm coming to join ya, honey!"

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”