Care and feeding instructions for a 660-12

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jimintexas

Care and feeding instructions for a 660-12

Post by jimintexas »

I've been surfing the archives regarding set up info, string choice, etc. and I'm a little confused about strings.

I've been using Pyramid's on all of my six strings for the last two years so I'm familar with both the rounds and flats.

What do you suggest for the 660-12, Rick rounds, Pyramid rounds, Pyramid flats or something else?

It's suppossed to be here today. I'm wetting my pants.
ricrocks
Veteran RRF member

Post by ricrocks »

Hey Jim, Take your mobile phone with you to the washroom and dont leave unless the doorbell rings.

While youre in there, use your phone to order a set of Pyramid Gold Flats Image

Congratulations!
ricnvolved

Post by ricnvolved »

Jim-- My recommendation is to order a custom 12-string set of Thomastik-Infeld PowerBrights from JustStrings.com. I currently have a set on my 360/12V64 and they JANGLE! Although the Pyramid Gold 12-string roundwounds would also be a good choice.
sornord
Veteran RRF member

Post by sornord »

I tried three or four different brands on my 660-12 and liked Rick rounds the best. On his instructional video Roger McGuinn says he uses them too, though his web site said he uses Pyramids.

I found Pyramid flats to be like playing steel bars they were so stiff. I've been playing bass and guitar for 30+ years and they were the most uncomfortable strings I've ever played, getting somewhat painful after playing a while.

Don't have this problem with the Rick strings, and I can even bend them a bit when playing a lead, though not like a six-string, naturally.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”